73 datsun 610 turbo LS1 build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What thought process makes a person wake up one morning and say...I think I'll drop an LS-1 in a 73 Datsun. I don't know but I like it.

1/2 italian, 1/2 scotish, red head former member of the USMC = stubborn, opinionated, 1/2 crazy bull in a china cabinet that won't take no for an answer. I firmly believe that CAN'T should be striken from the dictionary.

P.S. Thats one bad coupe you have there. LOVE the interior. whole thing just sits right.

Little car with a BIG motor - what's not to like? Looks like you just used the original frame as a template - not much left of the original. That was some real rust!

I did just that. much of the drivers side sub rail has been rebuilt as well. My original goal was 2000 lbs and 600HP. But I drove an 08 Z06 that I supercharged over the winter for a guy and it was 3100lbs with 570 rear wheel HP. Lets just say that rolling 60 mph burnouts with 325/19's is fun. But it makes me rethink the safety factor when I am rebuilding a rusty floor pan and supports! [;)

Some how I think we are rowing the same boat! You stuffed a 455 in an ice cream truck! and I'm insane? hahahaha! :D

I just love stuff that is out of the ordinary cookie cutter form. Hence most of my stuff.

I might be able to do some cool burnouts with the I-SCREAM but this will leave a new Vette sitting still! Youve got to put some cheesy whitewalls and stock looking hubcaps on this thing and go challenge a few new musclecars.

Any updates on this? [P

This little thing is awesome! It would really suck to get smoked by a 1973 Datsun regardless of what car you're driving.

It would really suck to get smoked by a 1973 Datsun regardless of what car you're driving.

haha! My thoughts exactly! After a couple of weeks of "my sunday" being eaten up by house and family projects, I got to work on it again monday. I had origanally tried to take as little of the rear floor pan out as I could. But, after fiddly farting around with the passengers side wheel well, I came to the conclusion that it just would not fit with the center floor being where it was stock. SO, I fired up the sawzall and plasma cutter and wacked the whole thing out. Now it will be much easier to fit everything. The tires sit in a little bit from the outer wheel lip but I still have the discs to put in there and these tires are 265/50r15's and I planned on running 275/50r15's. Next is to start on the new rear frame rails and 4 link set up. enjoy! [;)

Attachments

• dt3.jpg
    dt3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 130
  • dt2.jpg
    dt2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 133
  • st1.jpg
    st1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 138
well, sunday I got the rear rails made up and the body prepped for install. Then mid day my 15 yr old son decided to take a large chunk out of his thumb with a chisel. To big for the super glue so we were off for stitches at the ER. I will post pics of the rails when I get a chance. Just basic 2x3 box that will be added into the U-body structure.

Sorry to hear about your son. When I was about his age, I also took a big chunk out of my thumb. I was cutting a piece of garden hose when the knife slipped. The difference is, I didn't find the missing piece, LOL. It healed up and it looks fine now.

couldn't really yell at him much as most of my fingers have scars from around his age. Trying to drill a hole with a pocket knife got my a bunch of times. You slip and the blade folds up on your fingers!

ok all fingers stitched back up, I finally got a couple of huors back on the datsun. I got the rear frame rails fabbed up and welded in. Cut out the lower 4 link bar brackets. now the rear is set into place so i can get going on the suspension part of it.
ebay2015.jpg

ebay2016.jpg

ebay2017.jpg

ebay2018.jpg

ebay2019.jpg

Looking good!

Everytime I look at this car, I see a bunch of embarassed punks and their fast sports cars who got schooled by a 1973 Datsun, LOL. This car is just way too awesome!

Oh by the way, how wide is that rear axle?

lol! Yup, thats the whole point of all this work! The axle is 46.25" from wheel flange to wheel flange. I think this is the only car that a 265 looks huge under!

I got a little more done on this fine fathers day. Both of the lower arms are 90% in for the 4 link and the upper arms are shortened and the mounts started. I will be adding a plate to the outside of the upper front mount to make it a double shear. Also once it is rolling again I will put it up on the lift and finish boxing in the lower mounts to the frame etc.
6--19-10022.jpg

6--19-10023.jpg

6--19-10024.jpg

6--19-10025.jpg

so after a month or two off of this build, I got some time to finish up the 4 link and start the shock mounts.

Latest posts

Back