Wood is good.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will send sheer drops of misery down your pants leg!!!!
That is if you have feelings in you fingers.
Hope you heal quickly.

Thanks all.
No feeling in my hands overall,POPS. Even as I was doing it the only thing I felt was the vibration.........:eek:
Oh. .... And did I forget to mention it was Mrs. T's birthday that day.:D
Torchie

it will grow back... is what dad used to say... :D Just imagine the damage if the finger still had it`s factory size.... :eek:

too bad about the planks cracking. Especially if you don`t know what caused it [S

Ever consider using your wood working skills on a car or truck Torchie?

I've thought about it eman and have done some small stuff but never a full car.

it will grow back... is what dad used to say... :D Just imagine the damage if the finger still had it`s factory size.... :eek:

too bad about the planks cracking. Especially if you don`t know what caused it [S

LOL. Yes. It could have been much worse dutch.
I hate to disagree with your dad but I'm still trying to grow my leg back.:eek: [ddd
That's the thing with wood. You just never know for sure what's inside the board. I thought that I had done everything right as far as grain orientation, runout and looking for possible weak spots.
Most likely operator error.....:D
Like I say. It's not that this doesn't happen. I'm just not loaded up with Mahogany planks for spares.
We shall see how the next 2 come out.
Torchie

Just in case you thought I had given up.

Checked my list of things that my Dr's say I shouldn't do and saw that "Moving heavy wooden boats by yourself" weren't on it. So here I go.
I need to move the boat to a position were I can get to the bow easier. This is where all the bending takes place.
Of course had to move things out to make room.
The tricky part of all this was getting the inner cradle to lift and move along with the hull.
I removed a row of side planks and fed thru a 2x2. Clamped it to the front of the cradle. On the rear of the cradle I used Ratchet straps.
If you look close you can see the bottom of the 2x2 resting on the battens for the side planks.
Used a floor jack to get the boat up on my rollers. When I lifted the hull, the inner cradle came up with it.
After that is was jus a matter of a lot of grunting to get it moved around.
It's back down resting on the cradle now.
Last picture shows what it looks like when you finally move the couch to vacuum under it.:eek: [ddd :p
If I am able I will be back out in the shop tomorrow to finish getting things back in place so I can get serious about dry fitting the rest of the bottom planks.
Thanks for checking up on me.....
Torchie
p.s. Duke kept an eye on me to make sure I didn't do anything too stupid.:D :cool:

Attachments

• 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 16
Thanks all.
Yesterday’s temps were 30 degrees cooler then the day before Bill. One of the reasons I got out there.
I’m not much for quitting but I will admit that my admit Frame of mind hasn’t been the best lately.

I’m always careful Dozer. I just don’t look like it😜
Taking a bit of a break this morning then heading back out to the shop later.
Keep on keeping on......
Torchie

Slow progress as the heat and humidity came back. No work yesterday and today as it feels like DR Crank is standing on my chest.
But on Friday.....
set the gaps on the previous 2 rows and Cut steamed and fitted another row.
It is claimed that this one can be cold bent and I got it close but not wanting to risk more cracking I set up the steamer.
This is really a 2 person job so I have had to be creative in coming up with a second set of hands.
Ratchet straps. Blocks and wedges. But this also slows things down when time is important.
This row needs to be trimmed to the curve of the chine. I may leave it this way and trim it after the final install so I have some leverage to force the plank to curve if I'm by myself. Which is most likely.:eek: [dr
Thanks for stopping by....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 8
No work yesterday and today as it feels like Dr Crank is standing on my chest.

That'll flatten yer airbags. :eek: :D

We're "enjoying" some wild fluctuations here as well. Friday was 90/90 (90°F + 90% humidity) yesterday was 70/40. You won't see me cuttin' the lawn or building anything but a hangover at 90/90. :p

Keep up the good work, Torchie... as conditions allow!

Here's were we are at....

4 rows of planks steamed and fitted on both sides of the hull.
Placed the old planks from the final row in place just to see how things are lining up. :D [cl :cool:
Sharp eyes my notice the fact that on one side there is 2 plank pieces in the outer row and on the other side there is 3 pieces. That's factory. They used what they had.:D
Pulled out my last 4/4 plank of African Mahogany. I used these to make all the new frames/ Chines and lower transom bow.
You can see the difference in the grain between the African mahogany that I used for the frame work and the Meranti that I used to plank the bottom.
Milled this down to 3/4 to cut out the 10 Butt blocks I will need.
2 hours of cleaning in the shop just to make more sawdust.:eek::p
These Butt blocks will be pre installed with 5200, then with some one inside the hull holding them in place I will screw them down thru the new planking.
Once that has cured, ALL of this new planking comes off again and gets liberally coated on 3 sides with CPES.
Then its on to the final install with about 60 tubes of 5200 and some 2000 new silicone bronze screws.
Thanks for looking in on me.
Keep on keeping on.....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg