Getting a Legal Title

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJunktionMike

Something's wrong with that boy!
Step 1. Get a good bill of sale on major parts. All doors, hoods, fenders, trunk decks, body, frame, motor and trans. I have a bill of sale that I made up that has in the sellers signature box " THE SELLER(S) CERTIFIES, UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY IN THE SECOND DEGREE, THAT THE SELLER(S) SIGNATURE(S) RELEASES AND TRANSFERS INTEREST IN SAID VEHICLE AND OR PARTS AND HERE BY DOES SO"

Note: If the bill of sale doesn't have this or is not noterized that you are out in the cold

Step 2. google the state DMV ie "Colorado DMV" look for title and/or registering a vehicle. At this point I have found you need to look for rebuilt, builders or homemade, some times you have to search around for it but all the states I have looked into have a list and forms that have to be used to get a title.

Note: Depending on the paperwork you have, #'s that may or maynot be on the car/truck their are alot of ways to go. So dig into your DMV web site and do your research

(Do not count on the DMV workers to know what needs to be done)

There are alot of steps and red tape, and so many ways and forms to fill out. I have 6 months of time in getting mine legal. But I'm 100% and I don't have to worry about Jack:D

I was told by alot of people not to go the way I did because of this reason or that reason or that the truck would not be titled a 49 but a 2012.

Bottom line. Go to the DMV with more info then the worker you are dealing with and know what you are talking about. My dealings with the DMV went great after they tried to get me to do more paper work then what was needed. I told them NO I don't, this is what I got online from your website and this is what I have filled out and this is what I'm appling for.

Last edited:
It seems that a lot of how it goes at the DMV depends on the person you get that day at the counter. I have read a lot of threads where a guy went into one DMV location and they didn't know how to help him or didn't want to help him. Then he tried a second location and the person there took the time to sort it out and get him a title. Some people are just pencil pushers and some are there to actually help customers.

It is also important to realize some States do not issue titles for cars older than a certain year, and your State may not realize that. In some States all you have is a bill of sale, and if you go to some DMV's the first question is "Where is the title?"

Don

It is also inportant to realize some States do not issue titles for cars older than a certain year, and your State may not realize that. In some States all you have is a bill of sale, and if you go to some DMV's the first question is "Where is the title?"

Don

Don has a good point. And this is why it is important to get a good bill of sale, the best way is a noterized bill of sale and some states still require this. Some times no vins can be found and I will get the person to email me a pic of what I am buying and print that right on the bill of sale. below is the a bill of sale I use, I could not get it to upload so I just did the wording to give you an idea

Motor Vehicle/Parts Bill of Sale

BE IT KNOWN, that for payment in the sum of $ , the full receipt of which is acknowledged, the undersigned___ (Seller) hereby sells and transfers to __ (Buyer), the following described motor vehicle or motor vehicle parts

Make:_____________ Model: ______________
Year:_____________ Color: _______________
VIN #:_____________ Style: _______________

The sale is subject to the following conditions and representations:
Vehicle__________________ yes no
has a title
Is road worthy
Sold as parts
Sold as scrap
Over 25 years old
Is complete
Parts missing
Parts purchased

Seller signature:____________________________________________ Date: _____________________________________
The seller(s) certifies, under penalty of perjury in the second degree, That the seller(s) signature(s) releases and transfers the above described property and/or is legally authorized to transfer ownership, and herby does so.

Buyer:

In the presence of (Witness):
Print name of witness:

Seller warrants to Buyer that Seller has full authority to sell and transfer said property, and that said property is sold free of all liens, encumbrances, liabilities, and adverse claims of every nature and description whatsoever.
Said Vehicle/Parts is otherwise sold in “as is” condition

Last edited:
A couple good tips

1. If you can, get the person selling to Email you pics. That way you can always prove where things came from. Take pics while loading it to.

2. Take pics of everything before you start working on it. And take pics of things that stand out and realy won't change during the build. Take a lot of pics during the build.

3. Visit your local Highway Patrol, Ask to talk to someone that knows what is required to title your ride and what is needed to make your ride street legal. Remember these are the guys that are going to pull you over, so know what they are going to be looking for.

4. Research the paper work needed. Some states will issue a builder title and some won't. (this is why a good bill of sale is a must)

5. If there are any vins on anything, do a title search first if your state requires it before stating any work. I have seen times where after all the work is done the old owner has an sudden intrest .

6. If you are really worried, run an add in the news paper public notice section. Hear in Colorado you have to do 3 adds for a week at a time. First add just needs to say "I have purchesed a 19?? ???? vin# ????????? and it is missing the title, I am trying to contact the legal titled owner of said vehicle to transfer the title to me." run this again at 45 days, and at 90 days add final notice to the add. One down side is you may get scamer trying to BS you about ownership, But without a title in their hand they are SOL

7. Give your self plenty of time to get the paper work done. And make a plan to stay on top of it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back