Finally started the roadster build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2.3Turbo_T

Drug it home a year ago and have been collecting parts ever since. Also, traded the pickup bed for a turtle deck.

PA040002.jpg

Finally got it into the garage last week and began disassembly.

PB270044.jpg

PB270051.jpg

PB280010.jpg

First order of business is sheetmetal rust removal. Built a 4' square box, lined it with a pond liner and mixed 20 gallons of molasses with water at a 7:1 ratio.

PC040002.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Let's see what happens in 2 weeks![cl

Or, you might look in the box and find nothing but molasses! :eek::eek::D I've heard that method works well, anxious to see what yours looks like in 2 weeks.

I just soaked some metal lights in Evaporust that Northern carries. Left them in over night and they came out great, even left the paint but removed the rust, even the scaled rust. But you have to put something like WD40 on immediately or it will start rusting right away.

Don

Well, this is discouraging. Came home from work and lifted the top to check progress and there was only 6" of molasses mix left in the box. I assume there's a hole in the pond liner. Back to square one!

OK, left the doors in 6" of molasses mix for 2 weeks. It does work! I just ordered a new pond liner and I'll fill the box back up with molasses mix next week. I think I'll let all the panels sit until the end of January. That should take care of all the pitted rust too.

P1010020.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010022.jpg

Update on the molasses bath............it sure does work!
Just pulled the panels out yesterday.

P1010004_01.jpg

P1010003_01.jpg

P1010001_01.jpg

You can see some rust on the lower 6" of the panels. That's because I flipped them over and those areas were sticking out of the brew, exposed to air. It's very light rust that a light sandblasting will take care of.

The cool thing about this process is the molasses doesn't hurt paint, rubber or pot metal. It only eats rust! And, thick rust at that!

Also, I finally scored a MIG! Super deal. Hobart Ironman 210. It's a 220v that's virtually brand new and came with a completely full, owner owned tank with a 75/25 mix. All gauges, hoses, a spare whip/gun, the optional $150 spoolgun switch installed and even the original spool of .035 wire that still has about 2/3 left! It has a maximum of 20 hours on it. There's a couple of small scratches on top where someone set something on it but otherwise this thing is pristine! It'll weld up to 3/8" steel on one pass.

The story is, it was a demo model at a local welding supply house. The store was bought out by a bigger chain and employees were consolidated. As part of the assistant managers severence package, he was given the Hobart. He put it in storage for awhile and then decided he needed some money and listed it on craigslist. That's where I stepped in. It was 5 miles away and I picked it up for $700! Now I can start on my inner structure and frame!

P1010007.jpg

Ya, how much clean-up work is there?

Parts look great [cl

Not much at all. Pull it out of the tank and hose it off. Naturally, it starts flash rusting right away. The next day I hit the panels with my cheap HF sandblaster to remove any flash rust, remaining residue and the 6" of light rust from the last dunking. Took off everything! They're like new panels (except for a thousand pinholes and cracks!)[;)

Latest posts

Back