Rusty Buchan's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patina

Just wanted to start my build thread

The Car was found in a old logging town and completly stripped. It was a 31 model a 4 door sedan. The town was called Buchans hence the name rusty buchans
31a.jpg

First picture shows as it was found. Second picture shows it layed together on the side of the path to see what it was missing and condition
31c.jpg

And here is kinda the look i plan on going for
fitz010.jpg

Dragged home the front half of a 52 merc m100 for the axle and steer box and a few odds and ends.

Last edited:
need to find a passenger side windsheild post and the belt line on the cowl... Its a 31 slant window. If any one has one or knwo were to get one let me know.

sedan

instead of cutingt it shorter, weld up the rear doors and do a panel thats a little bit longer.

l did that on mine and am so glad l did, the little bit of extra room is invaluable for gas tank, battery,etc.

just a thought[S

if ya want ideas how l did it, check out my build thread,

Later:cool:

I was thinking of adding a little but i dont want to strech otu the back window to long... I love the look off the bantom... Nice work on on the body,

Here is the car i got my insperation from... only thing is i dout i will have my rear end out that far. I got to find my happy medium. I got a line on two rear slicks on 16 inch steelies( Same wheel in the pic above) When i get those i can figure out the lenght and. But in the mean time im gona repair the rust on the cowl and and start trying to build two doors.
DSC01676.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00482.jpg

That’s going to be a lot of work, but I’m glad to see you’re making something of it. [cl

Like Skull said, you’ll be glad to have the extra room, I learned this the hard way, just keep it in mind as you go forward.

I like what you’re modeling it after, that’s a cool ride.

As for the doors, make them what you want. :D

Keep us posted as you go. [P

Had some free time today so i made outer windsheild posts... Made them long, beacuse i am not sure how much chop i plan on going with. Waiting on some tubing to make the front door posts. Once i get the cowl and doors done i will start figuring out seating and how much room is needed. Found a dumpsite today with a 60's mg, late 30's humb back car and a simca... Going back some today when the weather is nice to get the dash colum and steer wheel out of the simca.

post.jpg

Last edited:
Been pickin the doors. The passenger side drivers door was totally mangled and the all there other doors are decent
door003.jpg

door004.jpg

door005.jpg

I Straightend the window frame for the door. I then took the rear drivers door and cut the window frame off and added the front part of the drivers for the slant post. I also had to mod the corner where the slant post joined the belt line.
busyday018.jpg

busyday017.jpg

busyday019.jpg

then i removed the skin
merc1003.jpg

Lucky for me the door structor was solid and with some banging it straightend out.
merc1013.jpg

merc1013.jpg

Got to make the bottoms. and brace the inside for support till i figures out the window.

Got a free roof off a 80's chevy pick up... perfect krown panels to skin both doors.
busyday006.jpg

also found a 52 m100 truck in the woods asked the land owner about. He asked me if anything was any good to me on it, Said i could take all or anything off it for a case of beer. truck was totaly shot. Got one really cool wheel , complete beam axle with spindles and drums cool pedals, Steering box and some other do dads. First pictures are the truck when i found it.
fitz003.jpg

fitz001.jpg

fitz002.jpg

fitz004.jpg

The cool pedals i got and the beam axle
busyday007.jpg

I also took the flat head and 3 speed as well. Gear box is good but the motor is no good...

And found a few wrecks in the woods... One was a simca and had neat looking dash and was in pretty good shape. Also grabed the colum and wheel but the wheel is shot. Hopefully i can adapt somethign to it.

only needs a inch trimmed off each side
simcadash003.jpg

Thanks... This car wont be a show car or anything close to it.. It will be a driver thats safe and a car thats fun to drive. I can hone out a few skills building this as this is my first major project.

My buddy used to have a hearse with a caddy 500 in it and he rebuilt the motor trans and new stainless exhuast. And sold it. I found out last night thats its now in the city impound yard up on auction. THe lady he sold it to left it on the road during a parking ban and now its impounded. she has 30 days to pay the fines or the car goes on auction. And most cars gor for anywhere from 200-500 dallar range. and if not sold they bid them all together for the scrappers. I gotta find out when the auction is ... it would make a nice doner lol

Could I trouble you for a link to more pics of that other car? (The one that gave you your inspiration?)

Thanks!

Ryan

Latest posts

Back