53 Chevy PU onto a S-10 frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippyDoDog

Yup, another one. Don't hate me.
This has been kind of a long term project taking a back seat to others. But, now I'm sort of on a roll. So over the next couple days I'll try to get this post up to date on what's been done so far.
The 53 when I bought it....
DSC00984.jpg

DSC01671.jpg

The S-10 longbed standard cab donor for the frame only....
DSC00982.jpg

The S-10 4x4 donor for the rearend....
DSC00985.jpg

Lifting the cab off the 53. I had seen where others had built a wood lifting device and it worked well for them. But I really wanted to leave the doors attached and the wood lift just didn't work for me. Just too much weight up front because of not being able to get the frame far enough forward because of the vent windows. I tried it first with the doors closed (which I didn't get a picture of) and even with the doors open so I could slide the frame forward more, but....
DSC01904.jpg

So, I came up with an idea that worked real well for me. I used ratchet straps hooked to two chain links attached to the under-dash mounting bolts on each side....
DSC01944.jpg

DSC01942.jpg

DSC01945.jpg

Going on the frame....
cabon6.jpg

On. Now to figure out if it's in the right place....
cabon1.jpg

I'm kinda going a different route as most with how far off the frame I'm mounting it. I know the AD-engineering and EZ kits have the body sitting about 5" off the frame. But, to cut costs on drop spindles, lowering blocks, etc I'm lowering my body more. I don't mind having to make a trans hump or even possibly a driveshaft tunnel if it saves a few bucks. The front cab mounts are sitting on a 2x4 wood and the rear cab mount "c" channel is sitting on a 2x4 with a piece of 1/2" wood.

Nice job so far. I like your solution to lift the cab with the doors on. I am getting ready to do another one of these swaps myself here soon. The first one I did I put the cab down on a couple 2x4s stacked on the frame which did require a trans tunnel. It put the truck pretty low without blocks. My build is here if you are interested:http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=16296

Here's how the truck ended up for ride height:
Truckreadytogo013.jpg

Good start.
I`m assuming the bed floor will be raised to accomodate the "channeling" of the body over the frame? No more room for a wood floor in the original height position with the mounts installed so low.Tailgate will have about six " of ledge showing in the open position.

The trans tunnel isn`t the only thing that changes when you lower the cab. The radiator support has to mount the radiator higher to clear the frame horns.(Can`t cut them off further than the steering box-means no mechanical fan), the brake booster moves up also to clear the valve cover and the driveshaft gets closer to the rear edge of the cab.

Dropped spindles and lowering blocks get a lot cheaper than all of the headaches associated with chanelling sometimes.

Just saying before you weld check all the other clearances needing to be dealt with. Ask me how I know...

Bill

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 61
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 53
Sweet truck AEROCOLOR, I've got the bed mounted. Just haven't posted the pics yet. I haven't measured the bed but I'd say it's probably about 6" of depth loss, but no more though.
From day-one I kinda figured the radiator would be one of the bigger challenges. But it looks like I'll have room for one of Speedway Motors Universal Radiators in 19 x 22. It should fit right above the steering box.
One reason I don't mind the channeling so much is the fact that my floors are completely shot anyway. [;)
Thanks for stopping by. Stick around, I'm sure I'll have questions for ya later. [S

Last edited:
Wow, thanks ChevyII. The price is right with free shipping too. I was gonna order the Speedway one this morning and I decided to hold off. Sure glad I did. Thanks again. I'm just ordering what I really need right now because I've got all my play money tied up in a 70 Mach I that my brother and I are restoring to sell on eBay this spring. Here's the build thread for anyone interested in old Mustangs.

I also discovered that if you use a `65 Mustang radiator the outlet is already on the passenger side but it can be moved over about 1" for hose clearance.
Unfortunately only available in two row if that would work.
On my first swap I fabbed a lower rad baffle to force the air up and thru the radiator under the bumper/grill. Helped a lot. The radiator did stick up on my first one about 2 inches above the rad support.

Bill

Attachments

• PLAY 084.jpg
    PLAY 084.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 46
  • playing 103.jpg
    playing 103.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 43
Thanks guys. You have no idea how much that helps.

My front cab mounts....
DSC02378.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

And I got the bed mounted about a week ago....
DSC02363.jpg

DSC02372.jpg

front bed mounts....
DSC02376.jpg

rear bed mounts....
DSC02377.jpg

The front & rear 1x1's and the frame kick up are all level so that I can throw in some wood for the floor.
In these pics the running boards were just propped up for alignment purposes but they're both mounted as of a couple days ago. I'll get some pics of the mounts tomorrow.

looks good man.

do you think you might need a little x bracing on that front bed mount so you dont get any side to side movement?

Thanks deerchooper. I did look into the side bracing but it's plenty strong enough side-to-side.

My original plan was to use the S-10 steering column, but after getting it clamped in position I just didn't like the way it fit. For one thing, it sits a little high and too far from the dash. On the stock 53, the steering wheel is 12.25" from dash clamp to the edge of the steering wheel. The S-10 is about 14"....
DSC02399.jpg

I could have trimmed the floor mount off the column, but that puts the DD shaft a little low to line up with the box. Plus, I really wasn't crazy about using the column mounted wiper switch anyway.
So, I bit the bullet and ordered a new 34" column from Speedway. Looks like it's gonna be a perfect fit. Here it is mocked up....
DSC02410.jpg

Latest posts

Back