New project, what is it??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin#2

Banned
so ive had some pics up at another "non billet" rat rod site for quite some time asking if anyone could identify the cab i am using for my rat.... and nobody has been able to give me any good ideas... so here it goes out to you guys and gals here.
it came with some land my brother bought and was being used as a kids playhouse and a flower planter, and i couldnt bear to see good iron like this go to waste so i brought it home.
it used to be a four door that someone way back in the day converted to a 2 door, very crudely done too. an interesting feature is the cast brass/bronze channels on the top of each windshield post

So lets hear and see your ideas..... im compeletly at a loss on this one.

DSCN1982.jpg

DSCN1984.jpg

DSCN1992.jpg

DSCN1984.jpg

rat20rod20progress20034.jpg

so there it is..... theres got to be an oldtimer somewhere that can identify this thing, thanks :)

looks like the old model a..or whatever sedans...like the late 20, early 30's sedans. tho it looks like a bad @$$ extended cab setup. set up for some small windows to kinda fold open and it could turn into a one off truck cab. awesome cab tho none the less, have fun with building that

i guess i should have stated that the extended cab is my solution to me fitting in that cab nicely as i am 6'3'', i added 8" and the heavy square tubing roll bar behind the doors, there will be one hell of a blind spot so i left the skin off for now, not sure if i will put curved glass in the cab corners or a flat glass in my extension....
its not a ford and the early chev is soooo close but if you look closely the center hinge on my cab lines up with the body line and the chev's do not.... still a mystery
ive had some people think that its a dodge dash....
my big thing is that brass channel on each side of the windshield.... ive looked at a lot of pics to try to figure this thing out and have not come across any with that body feature

oh and its gonna be a 1.5 ton dually and its gettin a 5.9 cummins 12 valve with a 5 speed standard...... compound turbos soon after :)

the brass channel pieces look like add on type of styling. i like the ideas of the diesel. i thought about that at one point but grabbin a diesel here was too pricey so went with the biggest big block i could get my hands on. good luck with the build...id put flat glass in and stay away from the curved glass

i didnt even notice that those pieces were brass untill i started to clean up the cab, and they are leaded in and were painted over..... seems like an expensive piece of metal just to make a curve then just be painted over.... would this be part of a package like a hearse or something like that??
and the cummins are still expensive here from a wrecking yard or what not, but i was able to score a whole drivable donor truck from a farmer who took very good care of it and sold the whole truck to me for $2500 :)
im a HD diesel mechanic by trade so it was a given for this guy

def makes sense using what you know...i know more about gas powered and big blocks. not necessarily GM but def pontiac. those pieces look cool. maybe some left over metal someone had laying around? could make for a nice connector piece for a custom visor.

man did i have to dig for my build.... you guys have a very active site here i love it [cl
so i finally snapped a few progress shots of the frame that i have been focusing on lately. got the two halvs welded back together and boxed and fishplated. got some of the old tinney cross members deleted in favor of 0.25'' wall square tubing.

th_ratbuildprogress033.jpg
ratbuildprogress034.jpg

and busted out the cheappy porta bandsaw to whipp up some filler plates and weld them in

ratbuildprogress036.jpg
ratbuildprogress038.jpg

i repurposed this old hitch receiver for a rear cross member, since i will be pulling whatever i need to with this truck [;)
ratbuildprogress039.jpg

ratbuildprogress035.jpg

i think i fianlly got my old lincoln welder dialed in [cl i got it from a old guy i work with.... it was HIS dads.... so its gotta be old but it works great, ive burnt up pretty much a whole box of welding rods with this frame already [;)

still havnt been able to determine the orgin of the cab im using..... anybody have any fresh ideas..... common guys we can figure this one out [S :D
thanks

The cowl gas door, windshield frame and inside door handle knobs suggest model T. But that belt line would suggest otherwise. HMMMMM. Chrysler of some sort perhaps....but I don't think they have a cowl gas door.

Attachments

• chryslersedan.jpg
    chryslersedan.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
yea it is oddball eh?!? and again the crysler hinges on visible from the outside, if you look at the center hinge it is below the upper body line, where as my center hinge is centered with the upper body line....
and with respect to the cowl door... i always thought it was for fresh air into the cab..... are they actually for a fuel filler??? this i didnt know...
and there is a vertical body line feature ahead of the A pillar on the outside that is another thing that dosnt jive with what ive seen...
its a wierd one for sure!!
i know somebody out there has drivin one of these things some time way way back in the day that can tell me what it is :confused:[S

yea it is oddball eh?!? and again the crysler hinges on visible from the outside, if you look at the center hinge it is below the upper body line, where as my center hinge is centered with the upper body line....
and with respect to the cowl door... i always thought it was for fresh air into the cab..... are they actually for a fuel filler??? this i didnt know...
and there is a vertical body line feature ahead of the A pillar on the outside that is another thing that dosnt jive with what ive seen...
its a wierd one for sure!!
i know somebody out there has drivin one of these things some time way way back in the day that can tell me what it is :confused:[S

My 26 Dodge has a door in the cowl, not for gas, the tank was in the back so I’d assume it was a vent.
Are there any numbers/letters stamped on the cowl?

My vote is for the 28 Chebby...what kind of diesel are puttin in it? I like 8-71 GMC..they sound so kool with straight pipes..[cl Nice work on the build, and you got the stick welding mastered for sure.

Latest posts

Back