'36 Ford Truck (Trey's Truck)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_J

Well, here's where we are going to start. We bought this truck last Monday, brought it home, took it mostly apart and are now deciding where we want things to be. This last Saturday we wheeled it outside on a body dolly and mocked up a basic layout. We will play with things a bit but this is a good starting point for now. I have a few home project to finish to keep Mom happy and then we will get rolling.

treysTruck001.jpg

Thanks guys, hopefully we will have an update in the next couple days. When we mocked it up in the drive way my son took measurements and is in the process of setting it up the same way in the garage. We plan to start some cutting and fabrication very soon.

good looking project.. i really like the look of the wide fives...

Placed an order from Speedway for a few items and began making a few cuts last night. I hope to have a few pictures to post in a few days.

We split the front wishbones and cut the spring perch off, trimmed the front of the frame and planned out how we will modify the frame for the rear wishbone mounts. Trey is going to unbolt the cab for that modification. I'm not real sure yet how my turn radius is going to work out since this is my first time to use this setup on a real low chassis. I'm open to suggestions. after we came up with a game plan we set things in place to have another look.

So far I'm impressed with my son's drive on this project. He insists on doing as much as he possible can himself. Also, I'm making suggestions on how I think somethings should look but I'm letting the final say be his.

treysTruck008.jpg

treysTruck007.jpg

Trey got the cab unbolted and we tipped it back out of the way. He also removed the pedal assembly and will start grinding rivets to clear the X member of extra brackets. We also layed out where the tie rod ends will recess into the frame sides on the back end of the wishbones. We have some more metal to cut so were back to work.

treysTruck010.jpg

No pictures today or much visible progress but I did get some 1/8" plate bent to make the back of the recessed area for the wishbones. I just chucked a piece of plate and a section of pipe in a big vise at work and rolled it around. Worked perfect. I stopped on the way home from work and bought some more 1/8" plate to finish most of the chassis work. I'm looking for some steel to make the front cross member as well. My son and I also hammered out the bottom portion of the grille shell to get it back into shape to see if we could salvage it. I think we have something to work with now.

Finished the rear mount for the front wishbones and all is tacked in place. I'll get some pics as soon as I get the camera back. We lowered the front just a bit more and then moved to the rear. The frame is marked where we will make the cut to remove 7" between the cab and the rear axle. We are moving the rear frame rails up 2" and will re shape the frame where the two sections join to create a nice smooth curve. Then start boxing the front and rear.

Made the brackets for the spring perch to mount under the wishbones. ( I saw a member on here do something very similar....Thanks for the idea.) I picked up some 3/8" stock and cut them out with a torch at work and my son drilled some holes and ground everything smooth. We will get them tacked in place in the morning.

wishbonebracket.jpg

Trey worked on cleaning up the front of the wishbones where we cut the old spring hangers off and we tacked the new brackets on.

bracket1.jpg

Looks good. Nice to see someone else working out of a 2 car garage. 2 car garages make for some interesting times especially in the winter. Look forward to seeing more.

We are doing the last of the trimming on the frame rails and have the cross member tacked in. I'll get it re-assembled and snap a few pictures.

Yeah, two car garage is definitely tight. I'm moving my VW up to my shop about 70 miles north of my house. It's a 30X50 but just too far away for working projects. I hope to be living up there in 4 to 5 years.

This looks great and is going to be incredible when it's done, the only problem is that I can't keep drooling through 10 more pages of thread to see the finished product yet.

Just picked up a 3 speed manual out of a '73 Chevy truck. I got everything from the bell housing back plus a new floor shifter still in the box. We will get it bolted to the block I have and finish up the motor and trans mounts.

Latest posts

Back