New project 49-52 chevy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiny1

Callin' him Tiny is like callin' Dirty Harry a bea
Well i started on my truck a few days ago. Go so wrapped up in it i forgot to take pics from beginning. Anyway its a 49-52 Chevy not 100% sure. I found out after we got it home the Vin numbers are missing not sure yet what I'm going to do about that. But here in bama anything pre 1975 doesn't need a title. I was hoping to find another truck so i could have some donor parts as well as Vin #.

Anyway its going to be the similar to my buddy's (half breed's) truck except mine will be a dropped front axle. I Just can't bring myself to put ford parts on a Chevy lol. I know there has been some talk about this cab style not looking very good without fenders but i think i can fix that. I gotta do some custom work on the firewall area and maybe it will look better. I know its going to make me happy either way I've always liked those trucks. Oh don't pay any attention to the small guy (me) in the pic it take a big truck for him anyway :)

Attachments

• Nov20-9.JPG
    Nov20-9.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Nov20-4).JPG
    Nov20-4).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Nov20-3.JPG
    Nov20-3.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 179
  • Dec1-3.JPG
    Dec1-3.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 388
  • Dec1-6.JPG
    Dec1-6.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 384
keep the pics coming. :cool: I have my eye on a 51 Chevy cab for my project as well and every one is telling me the same. too big, wide, firewall area too ugly, etc.. I just know once its chopped and channeled and maybe some change in the are where the fenders would mount will make it look good.

Yea man i love those trucks too ,ive been pondering a fenderless build too .
i kinda want to see one cut down the middle and narrowed some and do some custom work around the fender bolt on area as well ,i like the stock fire wall though ,when all the holes are filled .The fram work looks good so fare !
send build pic's for shure!!!!
what type of grill are you gonna run??

After seeing the last one you built, I can't wait to follow you on your own truck, tiny. As for firewall, maybe filling it smooth similar to what I did with momma's. The area at the front of the cab where the fenders mount has been my turn-off for fenderless AD's. Maybe filling this area would help. Whatever you do, I'll bet it will be sharp.

Thanks guys!! That's kinda what i had in mind was working some metal in around where the fenders bolt on to hide the empty space and try and make it look more like the fords along that area. I hope it turns out OK I believe it will if not maybe down the road i can find another cab i like better and swap it out. That's what i like about this stuff you can change just about anything without a lot of trouble.

This is going to be fun to follow. If it matters, it looks like your cab is a 51-53 model.

Thanks Guys

that `49 plymouth bumper might be worth something to the right guy , looks pretty nice

Is that what it came off of . I didn't think it looked like the others i've seen

This is going to be fun to follow. If it matters, it looks like your cab is a 51-53 model.

I thought it was a 50 then a guy came by and told me that a 50 had the push button door handles . I have no idea what the real year is I wished i knew for sure.

Last edited:
Not a 50

Hi, I just pulled a 50 Chevy 3100 out of a barn that it was in there for 33 years and it doesn't have push button doors. It also doesn't have a vent window on the doors. Mine has a vent on the drivers side cowl and louvers on the passenger side cowl like yours. I'm getting ready to chop mine 4" and put it on a S10 frame. I'll be running mine with fenders. I'll keep you posted on the build. Harleyboy I'd love to post pics but can't figure it out.

As far as I know, the 51/52 were the cut off for the push button handles. But I believe the doors can swap, so they could be off a newer truck. My 52 Has push buttons. Also, do the fenders have marker/directional lights on top? that was a 53 thing. It might be like my truck, a MUTT :D

I could you some info, what are you doing for a stearing setup? I am looking for a low-budget solution. my ex manifolds are in the way of the stock non power box. could you post up a couple pics of yours if its done?
thanks!

It might be like my truck, a MUTT :D

I could you some info, what are you doing for a stearing setup? I am looking for a low-budget solution. my ex manifolds are in the way of the stock non power box. could you post up a couple pics of yours if its done?
thanks!

lol mine is a mutt for sure. As for sterring right now i'm not sure which way i'm going.

Not much of an update this week too many off days. Hope to have front axle in by next weekend.

Attachments

• Dec010-2.JPG
    Dec010-2.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Dec010-3.JPG
    Dec010-3.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Dec010-4.JPG
    Dec010-4.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Dec010-5.JPG
    Dec010-5.JPG