new guy old project. 46 ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockster

Fairly new to the forum here. Lots of cool builds. Here's my contribution. Be gentle, it's my first time.

Picked up this beauty at a farm sale for $50
1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Brought it home and started disassembly. Pretty good cab, good hood, trashed front fenders and grille. The whole thing was sitting on an early 60s ford truck frame. Whoever did it mounted the cab by welding steel fence posts between the firewall and frame.

6.jpg

No idea what I was doing but decided I needed to chop the top. It's a $50 truck what's the worst that can happen?

16.jpg

20.jpg

Came out better than I thought it would.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd180/usnen2/t100_0130.jpg[/IMG
][IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd180/usnen2/37.jpg

Built the frame out of 2x4 tube

100_0241.jpg

t100_0129.jpg

Started out by building a Mustang 2 front suspension but hated the looks and cut it off and sold it.

100_0203.jpg

Part 2-

Originally I was just going to run a 38 chev grille shell that I had laying around but my 8yo daughter told me it needed a hood. I put it on to show her it wouldn't work but once I saw it I decided she was right.

100_0242.jpg

Front axle from a 64 IH pickup. swap meet circle track shocks, speedway hairpins.

100_0243.jpg

100_0247.jpg

64 mopar steering box set up for traditional steering. made a pitman arm out of a heavy truck bumper bracket with the original pitman arm splines welded inside it.

100_0265.jpg

Rear suspension is a 5 link with cheap coilovers

100_0250.jpg

Engine is a roller cam 302 with windsor Jr heads, big cam, old torker intake. front cover and acc drive all from a 65 289

100_0246.jpg

Fabricated the new grille and shock support area from 2" round tubing.

100_0245.jpg

100_0244.jpg

got a long way to go but I can see the end from here

IMAG0122.jpg

100_0253.jpg

Welcome to the site.
Looks like a helluva good job on the chop and all.
From the third pic you posted, you had to have a beer to celebrate :)

I like it all, but my favorite part is that front grill area under the hood and the way you contoured it to fit the hood, that looks really sharpp..very creative..

keep us posted,
Tim

Yeah, what they all said! The tube work for the grille really makes it stand out. It does make it look like some forgotten class of dirt racer. Very cool. And hats off to you for paying attention to your daughter - she obviously 'gets it'. [cl

Different but cool

You done good! She was right, the hood is necessary and after you put on the cool grill it is very unique. Nice work and congratulations on turning a good find even better. Steve

Latest posts

Back