J type Bedford pick up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacy

Hey everyone, I got my truck delivered today, in all its glory,
pulled all the interior out to start with just to get the creative thoughts rolling.
Also pulled the tray off my donor chassis, It's being sold for build cash, hopefully someone will take the rest off my hands as well.
No great hurry to get anywhere fast with this, but I will update as I go along.
Quite pleased with the overall condition of the cab.
Just have to wait for an engineering mob to send over a code for this modification so that I can stick to the guidelines and I'll take it from there.

The truck cost $750, but I should make some back in parts or keep for future project.
And my mitsubishi I've had for years, trusty old diesel engine will stay and no chassis modifications will be made (this should help with engineering and registration)

Anyway, that's all for now

j5frontside17312.jpg

j5front17312.jpg

donorrear17312.jpg

Talk to your engineer before you do anything.
I understand the Qld regs have changed a bit and a body transplant might be a problem these days

Spoke to an engineer who sent over the national code of practice and said follow that. No application necessary (I will double check this as plans may need to be submitted for mounting). I'll be making no chassis modifications, will be using the donor steering column, pedal assemblies, clutch and brake masters/booster, everything has been checked for fitting. Wheels and tyres will be within the legal size limits. Will be using Pajero suspension seats and fitting retractable seat belts as per ADR spec. I ran all of this by him and he said everything will comply. Engineering and compliance will involve inspecting body mounts, seat and belt mounts prior to any finishing and one more inspection when ready for roadworthy inspection and possibly a lane change test if they deem the new cab mass or mass distribution too different. Roadworthy inspection will be standard after this.

Completely stripped out the donor today and now have the cab unbolted and ready for removal, the hardest part was marking the wiring loom to make refitting easier. Will work on the Bedford cab and get that ready next.

My neighbor has a crane truck so when they are both ready for lift he'll help with that, the bedford cab makes use of 4 of the existing mounting points so fitting won't be all that hard.

Did a great deal of research and planning into this before starting so everything would go reasonably smooth.

Last edited:
My neighbor came home with his crane truck today so...

1tritonoff.jpg

2bedfordup.jpg

3bedforddownfront.jpg

4bedforddownside.jpg

5reachout.jpg

tdob.jpg

7innerguardcut.jpg

8cabdown.jpg

Had to cut some of the inner guard, will bridge and strengthen the gap later (maybe)

But it's some good progress, and it's roughly where I want it.

I've shifted the cab around a bit to find the sweet spot, it'll come down an inch or so at the front yet as it's still on stands, but it's about as low as I can get the cab before I'd have to start modifying things like the transmission tunnel.

truckq.jpg

That's a neat old truck, kinda reminds me of a 47-54 Chevy cab from the side. Looks a lot like a Studebaker in front, too.

Thanks everyone, I'm having a bit of fun, learning new things along the way.
I've always worked on cars, but this is the first time I've done anything like this.

Looks great! What about the bed?

I've been looking at all sorts of beds, I really like this style, I just have to find the best suited fenders. I've got plenty of sheet and square tubing to make up the bed but will keep looking for fenders, something will turn up that works.

truckbedideaa.jpg

Unusual choice of a J5, but looks tops. Over here J1s and JOs are the Beddie of choice

Yeah, It just sort of appeared and I decided to grab it and go for it, I looked into a bit and found ones with smaller wheel arches from the 16 inch wheel variation, but I plan on running 31's on 15 inch rims, and thought the wheel arches were not a bad fit so just went with it.

This found it's way on to my shopping list today too, not a bad little mig

welderd.jpg

Latest posts

Back