My new ol 28

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyster36

Picked up a RUST FREE 28 Model A Tudor. Not sure if the fenders will come off this one. They are near perfect. Just thinking of trans planting the drivetrain a go with it. maybe a 3" chop too. Open to ideas, let me have em.
1928sedan015.jpg

1928sedan018.jpg

1928sedan019.jpg

1928sedan020.jpg

1928sedan021.jpg

The engine i think is hurt. I drove around the block, lot of blow by and got hot really fast. Thinking maybe a v-6/auto so i don't have to modify the firewall or box the frame.

The engine i think is hurt. I drove around the block, lot of blow by and got hot really fast. Thinking maybe a v-6/auto so i don't have to modify the firewall or box the frame.

V-6 auto?? Yuck. :(

I undertsand your want for an upgrade but that's gonna kill that car. If you want to update the drivetrain go with a 2.0 or 2.3 Ford 4 banger and a 5 speed. They are widely available, reliable, respond well to performance upgrades and are highly supported by the aftermarket. Not only that, but they fit very well in the smaller engine bay and don't look that out of place in a car such as yours. It is actually a pretty popular swap. Lots of info out there on it if you do some digging...

Here's a few in different stages of dress -

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

V-6 auto?? Yuck. :(

I undertsand your want for an upgrade but that's gonna kill that car. If you want to update the drivetrain go with a 2.0 or 2.3 Ford 4 banger and a 5 speed. They are widely available, reliable, respond well to performance upgrades and are highly supported by the aftermarket. Not only that, but they fit very well in the smaller engine bay and don't look that out of place in a car such as yours. It is actually a pretty popular swap. Lots of info out there on it if you do some digging...

Here's a few in different stages of dress -

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

x2:cool:

If you're not scared of electronics, a turbo 2.3/5-speed from a turbo T-bird would be sweet.:cool:

I wouldn't chop it, either. Getting tired of ridiculous chops... Just my $.02....

Nice score, regardless.

Regards,
Shea:)

Wonderful 'ol Ford! I totally agree with BED :eek:.. :D:D Got a 2.3 in my '30. Open driveline conversion from Speedway. Mine is getting worked on now but i was out having fun all weekend every weekend and never saw the big motor, on the ground super rats anywhere except the shows.

As solid as that car is, there's no way I'd cut it up. Juice brakes, fix the banger or like suggested, 2.3 or 2.5 Ford motor with a 5 speed. I wouldn't do anything that couldn't be changed back to original, I.E. bolt in stuff only. Lots of cut up cars around, stone stocker bodies hard to find.....

Repair it and drive

I could never alter that fine a car.
If I had it,I would rebuild engine,fix overheating problem and drive it stock.
Not many left that good.[dr
Just my 2 cents worth.

As solid as that car is, there's no way I'd cut it up. Juice brakes, fix the banger or like suggested, 2.3 or 2.5 Ford motor with a 5 speed. I wouldn't do anything that couldn't be changed back to original, I.E. bolt in stuff only. Lots of cut up cars around, stone stocker bodies hard to find.....

That is what I would do as well. I like it just as it is, but would definitely upgrade the brakes. But, a chop would be hard to resist, I have to be honest ;)

I watched the build that Gas Monkey did on Fast n Loud. I going to try to use the original motor with a 5 spd conversion. I've found where they make some neat stuff for the 4 poppers like intakes, header, head..etc. No chop and lower it. It's going to be cool. LOL

If you want to use the original engine for any serious use you will need to have the crank balanced - or find yourself a B Model engine, which was already done from the factory. Lot's of particulars on that early stuff...

Found a local guy that will balance what i have. He also has a Model B engine in the corner, buried that he might sell, but doesn't really want too. Gonna send the title in this week before i do anything.

Got it running a little better tonight. It was crackin and poppin like crazy. Blew the fuel out and it all cleared up. Must of been on the lean side. It does smoke when it warms up. The radiator leaks as well. An ol friend drove by and stopped and looked at it. SHE was tickled to death. She got out of the car and said to my wife, "that's a 28 right?". She used to have one. Then she told me she bought a new radiator for hers but never put it in. In was in the attic of her garage and if i wanted it i could have it. All i have to do is take her for a spin it the ol car sometime. I said no problem. So i guess i got a radiator for it. What luck is that?:)

Haven't done anything to the car yet, but i did score some parts today. Followed up on a ad on the CL about a front axle. Was a 36 with the wishbones still attached($100). Got to asking if he had any other parts and ended up with the rear radius arms from a 36, 38 round spindles, set of 49 F1 front juice brakes. Gonna go back later for some more looking around. The guy had a 27 T roadster he built back in the 60's on a 32 frame, Halibran Quick change, Desoto Hemi and a 4 speed. It was cool.
1928sedan001.jpg

1928sedan002.jpg

1928sedan003.jpg

Latest posts

Back