50/58 Willys Wagon RAT

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thigh19

This is kinda what I had to start with. The body was a free-be. Not near as nice as the pic looks. But the price was right.
projectw-1.jpg

Then a 50 Willys frame, 2wd with Planar Supension, Fell into my lap. The frame cost me $200, but included a title, VIN tag, and plates.
projectw3.jpg

Moved the Planar supension forward about 10" to get the look I wanted.
willys4.jpg

projectw4.jpg

Then I chopped the center window section out to give me that pick-up look.
projectw8.jpg

After much debate, with myself, I decided to take another 14" out to give me more room for a bed
projectw13.jpg

projectw14.jpg

Like this look a little better.

Going with a Vega steering box, so decided a taller, narrower tire/wheel combo is in order.
Found a set of 16"x5" Dodge truck wheels with the small bolt pattern. Found a good deal on tires, $60 for the pair, and they still had the stickers on them.
projectw11.jpg

projectw12.jpg

Now with the power plant. This is a 403 Olds that i took out of a 79 Pontiac Firebird that had been totaled about 15 years ago. I traded it off to a guy that was to replace the diesel motor in his Chevy van. He never did so I traded back into it. WD-40 in all the plug holes, let it set for about a week, put a starter on it and it started right up.
100_2112.jpg

100_2113.jpg

Found this manifold on eBay, Cheap, but with a crack in it.
Found this spreadbore Holley on eBay, too, but it needs rebuilt.
And the stack is something I had lying around for another project.
100_2110.jpg

These seats came out of a bus, think they'll work, but a buddy if mine has a set of FJJ Wagoneer power seats i might try out.
IMG_0184.jpg

The rear tires are some MT ET Streets, 28x12.5 on 10x15 Speedway steel wheels. Don't know how the Dana 23 will handle it, guess we'll see.
426920_3401154908345_373132989_n.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Got a good deal on a windsheild and gasket. Getting ready to go instal and I've never done one. Any Tips? Wish me luck.

Got half the windshield in, cracked thye other half:mad:
Oh well, at least I'm picking up my aluminum valve covers tomorrow.

These are the headers I ordered to solve my clearance and steering issues. Hope it does.
headers_web.jpg

Come from Noxious Customs. claims shortest, shallowest on the market.
Looks the part for the theme I'm going for, too.

Just got back from Hot August Nights and it motivated be to spend my last day of vacation working on my willys rat.
100_2115.jpg

Love these headers, look how tight they fit and how much room I have for steering.
100_2120.jpg

Started to mock up steering. This column came out of a mid 70's Ford truck.
100_2116.jpg

Including the steering wheel, only $40
100_2121.jpg

These shocks are out of a Suburban dually project I've recently sold.
100_2117.jpg

They cost me nothing and they're Gabriel gas shocks for the rear of a 1v ton dually.
100_2118.jpg

Also started mock up on the radiator. this was a hand-me-down from a swap meet.
100_2114.jpg

It was ment for a kit car, but the inlet and outlet are in the right places.

Don't think I'm gonna paint the motor, just gonna degrease it. I was gonna go "Olds Gold", but my wife says it's a ratt, thought it was surposed to be rough, So, don't tell her I said this, SHE IS RIGHT:(

Well, the powder-coater called, said that when they powder-coated my valve covers, they gassed off so they need to redo them. Another week, but they said they'd make it right.
What does "gassed off" mean?

Well, the powder-coater called, said that when they powder-coated my valve covers, they gassed off so they need to redo them. Another week, but they said they'd make it right.
What does "gassed off" mean?

In my experience gassed off means that there was poor surface prep and the underlying layer or contamination caused the topcoat to have tons of pin holes.

Awesome build BTW. I'm looking for an old willys wagon...

Went out after second powder coating, they looked horrible. Round 3 and I've decided to go with a textured black finnish. I'll sand off the fins and lettering, should look ok, I hope.

Latest posts

Back