31 Chevy/Desoto coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowtiger_40

I know this sounds like a messed up combination, but I got this body for a really decent price last Fall

Front half is I believe a 29 Desoto, rear is a 31 chevy 3 window

About a month ago I picked up this pile of parts, for a 28 chevy sedan, including the chassis

That engine still turns over but at 28 hp, I don't think I'll be using it....LOL

That brings us to last week, mounted in a Camaro posi.....241 gears (car will be light enough I'm sure

And swapped on some later model drums to make it roll around

Now for a bunch of adjusting, lowering and bracing to get the stance

I'd like it at least 6 inches lower, will tackle some of that next week

neat

l like it[cl

are you gonna box the frame, it probably needs it if you are running any kind of H P to that chassis.

what motor/tranny combo?

please keep the pics coming.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
The plan is to keep the front of the frame and box it...Fab a new 2x3 frame from the firewall back. Box the front ( I love the front suspension). Powertrain will be a 400 small block with a turbo 350( same as my truck)

Here's a sneak peek

Thanks....trucks painted plum crazy purple now...and different rims...wider tires

This pic was last year....more Rat rod appropriate...LOL

Last edited:
Howdy neighbour.

Those 2.41's are gonna be a dog around town. On the positive, it'll do 150 if you have enough horsepressure... or a stiff prairie tailwind. :D

2.41??? in a Camaro?? highest I think I've ever seen in a 10 bolt was 2.76, seen a lot of 3.08's. some 70's caddys had 2.56 with a very huge offset pinion case.

Hmmm, that would be great at B-ville.

2.41??? in a Camaro?? highest I think I've ever seen in a 10 bolt was 2.76, seen a lot of 3.08's. some 70's caddys had 2.56 with a very huge offset pinion case.

Hmmm, that would be great at B-ville.

Chevy had a 2.29:1 in the mid 80's monte carlos and Malibu wagons. 7.5" 10 bolt

Sure looks like you will get a cool coupe out of that collection of parts. Don't get discouraged half way through. I want to see that machine running.

Yessir Snow, you've taken on a mighty big project, but the rewards will be worth it. You will end up with a very nice car.
I've got a friend here in Alberta that grafted a Model A roadster rear onto a '27 Hudson that was made into a truck in the '30's. Anyhow, it came out pretty nice except the body reveals didn't line up in one spot, so I always wanted to build a hand held, big throat bead roller to zip in some funny shaped beads. That would clear up those grafting problems. If only I wasn't just a idle dreamer, eh.
Keep on tinkering.

got a few more nice parts today....decided on a change in plans....241 posi coming back out and going into the truck.....3.73 posi 8.8 with rear discs coming out of the truck and going into the coupe.....need to get better highway performance in the truck....oh and.....these are goin on the back of the coupe

Latest posts

Back