un-natural patina/rust

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom cabby

i hope i wont get a similar reaction out of this question as i would on the H.A.M.B. but here goes:

i was going to post this on the body shop thread but i figured since there are alot of viewers here maybe more so than the other.... here goes. as most of know, its not that easy to put a bunch of money into a ride with having a larger family (5 boys), so i have to nickle and dime as much as possible. this being said, i cannot go out and just flip over some green for a "rust bucket" (as my wife would put) that is going to require alot more money to get where i want it to be. so, i have a 68 f100 that is already lowered and raked and all original that i want to make a rat out of. you know, something that looks like it was yanked out of the junk yard and put on the road. now, for the biggest issue.... its stripped down to the bare metal with all its dent and rust glory. how would i go about ratting it out? sure, i could sit it out in the weather and just let it do its own thing, but is there something that i can use to make it weather more in some place than other so it wouldnt look so "uniform" all over? and if there are any pictures out there of something similar that i am talking about, please post.

I would do a couple test pieces first,perhaps fog flat black spray paint over
the whole thing,let it dry,then spray acid over everything,and cover in plastic.
The plastic stops the acid from evaporating as fast,so it works longer and you get nicer colors.

Experiment with Vinegar,Lemon Juice,etc.

To make some ares different,you could start with those smaller areas,then do the whole thing.

You can reapply the acid,over rust,to create different patterns.
You can burnish the rust,then scuff;the possibilities are endless.
--
After it is all rusty,if you cover the whole thing in Boiled Linseed Oil,
you will get a rich Brown color,and a little bit of protection.
Again,do a test first.

I think if you rub it over with scotch-brite , harder in some places and leave it till discolours/rusts then you get por-15 which you can get in a clear finish and coat it with two coats , it will look like bare metal in all its glory but not deteriorate. My two bits.

I saw a cool little truck on Pass Time where the guy had painted the truck red oxide or similar, they sprayed flat black over it, then he sanded through portions of the black until the red showed up. Looked really aged and nice.

Just a thought.

Don

Patina

Paint it thin, hit it with a little sandpaper here & there & let nature take it's course!!! There have been several pretty good articles in the mags lately about the same & have looked pretty good! I usually still have them around for a while but it appears my new shop dog likes to... er... *read* them as much as I do... except when he's finished *reading* them... no one else can!

Do what was mentioned above but use some flat paints in a color other than black. Something along the lines of factory colors for that era with a few primer spots here and there. 2 tone would be cool. Spray light and heavy and sand or "wipe" your upper surfaces and use the acid or nature. Give it that naturally aged showroom sitting for for 40 years look. I'm going to paint my Packard, but look at the roof and fender top. The 46 is all-natural to give you an idea.

Attachments

• DSCF0078.JPG
    DSCF0078.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF0046.JPG
    DSCF0046.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 54
Shredder!!!

Tripper... so is that your contribution to recycling??? just watch out for the aluminum, that could be a bad s*ituation! hahahahah

Shredder... we don't need no stinkin' shredder!!! He's teethin' & *anything* is fair game @ our house! I have to hunt for my shoes all the time now... like I don't *already* have enough trouble findin' my stuff in the mornings!!! ; - >

yea, i know what your talking about. i had that trouble once i finally i just said, "grandpa, its time to put your fake ones back in cuz new ones just aint gonna grow back."

Latest Street Rodder Magazine...

The Latest Street Rodder Magazine has an article about patinas...it talks about painting and sanding...but I've also heard that citric acid, especially grapefruits can give a really nice faux patina.

oh my! bleach really does the trick. im thinking about spraying the whole truck down outside with bleach with one of those pump chemical sprayers and putting "drop clothe plastic" (as to create a humid state under) over it and see if that does anything. after a few moments of just misting the 50/50 bleach it starts to rust. if plastic over it doesnt work i think i will totally soak up a sheet with the solution and lay it on top of the metal (direct contact).

and as far as the patina look... i took construction orange, flat black, silver, white, and red oxide primer. i sprayed the paint randomly and while it was wet, i took scotch brite and rubbed all in one direction paying close attention to the darker areas that would replicate more rust. keeping in mind that i sprayed randomly and left the rest bare and then rusted it up.... looks pretty good so far... we'll see what else nature can do to it. thanks guys!!

Hey...... how bout this novel idea......drive it for another 25-30 years......oh...I forgot I'm not on the "OTHER" site right now......or
try this.........I've seen it done on motorcycles with great success....

http://www.sculptnouveau.com/

Ratty 46

i gave that a thought but i am an impatient person and "I WANT IT NOW!!!!" man.... did i just sound like what my wife says i always sound like? and to think, i'm trying to raise 5 boys.... they're doomed!

and thanks for the other tip but i think i may be lacking the Scientific Bio-Engineering Degree needed.

Latest posts

Back