'31 Model A build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll agre .... nice progress. Good choices on what you've done so far....

Keep up the progress pix.

Ratty 46

Thanks a lot guys that's good stuff to hear.

I got the nerve up to start cutting the frame for my top, I put 5 relief cuts on each side so it fits real nicely with no forcing. My friend has one on his VW and says it's hard to get them to work at best. I had to laugh as I did my first cut something seemed a little weird and not quite right then I realized it was aluminum and not steel like I thought. Well I have a Tig welder that I never use and I have never tried aluminum with it so I guess I better go buy some scrap and have someone show me how to do it. Gotta learn sometime I guess. I cut some pieces of wood and clamped around them to hold the frame while I drilled out the holes.
Next I put in the rails and slid the top in, tightened all the screws (which are all crap, I'm gonna get stainless hardware for it) and gave it a try. Seems with the curve it got a little longer so it's gonna take some more massaging, I can ovalize the rear holes a bit but I might have to shorten the frame about a 1/2" unless there is some way to stretch canvass.
Here it is, I like it a lot and it slides nicely as well. I'm gonna build a frame to go around the inside to stiffen it up but that shouldn't be too hard. After seeing it now I don't think it would be that hard to fab up a frame if you can find an old canvass.

Sean

Attachments

• PB130699.JPG
    PB130699.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 35
  • PB130701.JPG
    PB130701.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 52
  • PB130702.JPG
    PB130702.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 33
  • PB130703.JPG
    PB130703.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 44
  • PB130698.JPG
    PB130698.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 48
Oh yea, mounted my gas cap too. I know everyone likes pictures so here's more. Just gotta find a downspout now.

Sean

Attachments

• PB130704.JPG
    PB130704.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 34
  • PB130705.JPG
    PB130705.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 82
  • PB130706.JPG
    PB130706.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 51
I like the top a lot, as well as the gas cap. WIll you be adding a gas tank?:D If you don't mind telling, was the top kit expensive?
Thanks,
Bob

I stumbled across it on Craiglist in Florida, I don't know how I found it. It was used but in great shape apart from the hardware, I gave him $450 for it but shipping was $200:eek: cause it was so big and can't be torn apart. I think one from an old VW van would work as well, that's actually where I started looking. There's some guy on the KB website that is selling them a bit cheaper, I think this size was about $800, but I don't know what brand they are or if anyone has actually bought from him.

I actually built a tank but sold it with my T so I just bought an RCI tank for this, it was bigger and I got lazy.

Sean

nice top

jp magazine had write up about a new made top for coversons. they used teirs on a cherokee. they came in difrent sizes also. killer ride and nice work

Thanks guys, finally made some progress to post.

I've been doing bodywork for weeks and decided it was time to get it done. I added some seam sealer while I was at it, just taped it up and spread it with my finger.

I sprayed a second coat of primer on the interior and then did a primer sealer coat and two coats of high build on the exterior. Gonna try to get the interior colored tonight and a little wetsanding and exterior color tomorrow.

No more pics until it's painted and mounted on the frame!

Sean

Attachments

• PC170746.JPG
    PC170746.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 42
  • PC170748.JPG
    PC170748.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 51
  • PC170745.JPG
    PC170745.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 36
  • PC170744.JPG
    PC170744.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 52
  • PC170741.JPG
    PC170741.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 50
Okay got it done I think, it's amazing how many times you can walk around the car looking to find spots you missed and you don't see them until you're assembling the car:D. It's Hot Rod Flatz Blood Red, I think it will flatten out a little more as it dries, this was 20 min after shooting. The interior is gloss black to match the frame.

Sean

Attachments

• PC190752.JPG
    PC190752.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 43
  • PC190753.JPG
    PC190753.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 56
  • PC190754.JPG
    PC190754.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 58
  • PC190755.JPG
    PC190755.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 40
  • PC190757.JPG
    PC190757.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 44
SGO70, You have done one hell of a job on that sedan.Let it dry up a little and lets see it come back together.

I know there will be a burn out vid at the end.

Thanks again, I can't say it's been easy. Lately I feel like I spend more time on the internet trying to figure stuff out than actually working on the car.

Well back to the chassis finally. I got my brake lines all routed just need a couple more clamps to the front and a little problem with the calipers. Seems the '49-'54 Chevy calipers I bought from Speedway point the banjo forward right into the axle:mad:. I have to find an AN3 male to female elbow that isn't aluminum (won't pass inspection here with aluminum and I heard it will crack eventually), or take off my caliper and grind the flange off, or find a 90 degree banjo. A lot of options but I can't find the parts.

I cut my grill shell a little to get it to fit, I saved the lower apron but I don't know if it's worth the effort as you can't even see it unless you're under the car. At that point I don't think you'll be worrying about it:D.

I also cut some bolts and rounded them off to line up the body when it goes on hopefully this week. Wondering about making some aluminum blocks on the lathe for these, Anybody use aluminum??

Sean

Attachments

• rad2.jpg
    rad2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 55
  • rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 43
  • rad1.jpg
    rad1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 58
  • rad3.jpg