Another 50 chev chop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a man can do anything with a little time, some 2 stroke mix and a chainsaw.
looks great.

Streetrodman

I about spewed my java when I read that. "A man can do anything with a little time, some 2 stroke mix and a chainsaw." What a great line !!! - that should be on a bumper sticker !!! :D:D:p:eek:

"Seeing as I don't have the patience to even attempt a head liner. I'm going to try and use this stuff It's actually for roofing which seems fitting for what I'm using it for lol"

Let me get this right, you are saying you are short on patience ? :confused: :D:D

lol if I had to guess I spend like 4-5 hours a night during the week if I can screwing around on the car. Unless I watch the boob tub lol

Dude, so how much time do you spend on the sled every week?? Just curious - you're either in your shop about 18 hours a day or you're superman on caffeine and steroids. :eek:

For the car no, for a headliner yes :D

"Seeing as I don't have the patience to even attempt a head liner. I'm going to try and use this stuff It's actually for roofing which seems fitting for what I'm using it for lol"

Let me get this right, you are saying you are short on patience ? :confused: :D:D

Man tried to get some fresh fluids in the car and think I spent like an hour last night getting the damn oil filter off the car. What a mess lol

IMG_1916.JPG

Nothing major happening though just changing fluids running brakes and fuel lines, as well as tighten up random just that was just sitting in place for mockup.

Want to hear this thing run lol.

Good news fired the motor up last night Whoohooo lol. Still have to wire the whole car but it's always nice to hear the motor run.
So last week a buddy called me up and said he might have some front glass for me. Ends up it a windshield from a 54 chevy couple stone chips but free so off I go and try to make it fit.

Here's the screen marked up as to where it needs to be cut.

Glass.JPG

Here's my list of special tools lol less the propane torch

Glass%20(1).JPG

I tried something diffent on this one I scored the glass right where I need to make the glass fit first on both sides. My thinking is just incase I'm cutting and I get a running crack I should stop there (didn't work in the end lol)

Glass%20(2).JPG

Now we cut I'll try to explain what I'm doing the best I can
first you score the glass on one side then do the other side tracing the same score line. Then you take your pliers and put light pressure on the glass pulling up or down depending what side you wanna crack first. When pulling (my preference lol) you'll the glass crack following the score line, do this the whole score line.

(hopfully you can see what I'm talking about here this is just the bottom side done.)

Glass%20(6).JPG

Then do the top now you'll notice you can move the glass a little (note very little don't want to be wrenching on it and breaking the **** out of your glass. Now this all depends how you want to do this some use alcohol I use a propane torch and heat the crack but keep my torch 6-8" away and move rather quick across the crack. This should make the glass your taking off more pliable so you can now stick you razer blade in between the layers and cut the glue and your done. I personally don't cut more that and inch deep and about 3-4" strips.

K enough jabber more pictures lol

Glass%20(4).JPG

Slowly getting there

Glass%20(5).JPG

Fast forward about 40min later

Glass%20(7).JPG

Fast forward about 4 hours and 2 cracks later lol

Glass%20(8).JPG

2 cracks oh well until I can afford some new glass I'm happy. The 54 glass does not quite fit well seems to have more bow in it than the original glass. I just glued it in for now an hopefully this summer get some good glass and try again.
Hope this give some people an Idea what is involved I'm by far no expert on this as this is only my first real attampt at doing curvy glass.

only 2 cracks? nice job 4 your first try, took me 5 windshields to get 1 in. Used the same method as you, broke 2 on the stand and 2 installing them :mad: Worked best for me only taking off 1/2" or so at a time, just a 3" chop on mine

Nice job on the glass. I saw a thread either on HAMB or on R3 I believe where the guy talked about different methods for cutting the glass down to size.

Bottom-line for him - he said by far the least risky procedure was to use a sandblaster and cut it with abrasive.

Heard about that method also might try it on another hunk of glass and see how it works.

Nice job on the glass. I saw a thread either on HAMB or on R3 I believe where the guy talked about different methods for cutting the glass down to size.

Bottom-line for him - he said by far the least risky procedure was to use a sandblaster and cut it with abrasive.

Well she moved under her own power today parked it out side while I cleaned out the garage.

IMG_1937.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

Ahhh it's always nice to move them for the 1st time. The '39 tail lights look really nice in there. Still not sold on that Olds grille bar for the rear bumper though - it looks really small. Maybe if you rolled the pan, or did something around the sides of it? I dunno. I really think it would be better suited in the grille opening where it belongs. :) But hey that's me. You're doing a great job and making a lot of progress. Gonna be a bitchin' car...

I know the sides do need something I kinda have an idea with some old bumper guards though.

Ahhh it's always nice to move them for the 1st time. The '39 tail lights look really nice in there. Still not sold on that Olds grille bar for the rear bumper though - it looks really small. Maybe if you rolled the pan, or did something around the sides of it? I dunno. I really think it would be better suited in the grille opening where it belongs. :) But hey that's me. You're doing a great job and making a lot of progress. Gonna be a bitchin' car...

I actually have built one so far but it actually makes the back of the car look bloated lol. I'll have to get a pic of the one and get some comments on them. :D

Have you thought about installing rear fender skirts?
Either way it looks really good.

progress

Looking great! I vote for no skirts, but that's a personal preference anyway. The car looks nothing like the dowdy Chevy it started out as - awesome!

440shorty

Feels good to drive it, doesn't it?

Latest posts

Back