Sheesh! Another F-1 build...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTruant

Let's get right to it :cool:

Here's how it came home

48Ford.jpg

We re-did the brakes, got it running, blah blah blah

100_1973.jpg

100_2015.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Tossed a piece of steel on the floor & put in some seats that were laying around

DSC_0081.jpg

All done...kinda sorta

100_0979.jpg

Drove it around for awhile, the carb took a dump and the trans started to pop out of second gear every once in awhile...then on every bump...then whenever it felt like it. Then had a bunch of charging problems so on the back burner it went.....until Saturday morning :cool:

Have a complete rear suspension kit, Mustang II, & power brake booster that didn't get used in another F-1 that were just sitting on the shelf...so why not put it all together? :rolleyes:

Into the car hole it rolls in all it's rusty, innocent glory...

101_1310.jpg

101_1316.jpg

101_1312.jpg

A little unexpected rust hole in the back of the cab

101_1336.jpg

Out with the old...

101_1341.jpg

101_1340.jpg

In with the new....new-er anyways. 9" that was laying around and a set of Firestone drag slicks that didn't get used on another project.

101_1342.jpg

Bolt in the new suspension

101_1343.jpg

Sit back and admire what is supposed to be a 4" to 5" drop

101_1348.jpg

Hmmm, back at original ride height....oh yeah, the taller tires.

101_1350.jpg

A quick trip to the Pepboys found some 4" blocks...yup, that's better.

101_1354.jpg

101_1357.jpg

Now it's sittin' right

101_1361.jpg

101_1362.jpg

A little to "right" perhaps. Gonna need to C-notch it. After lots of measuring, then some more measuring, I might need to switch to a 3" block after putting the weight of the bed on there. I'll figure it out once the bed is done.

101_1356.jpg

On to the bed

101_1364.jpg

Oh yeah, that looks sweeeeet

101_1367.jpg

The bed frame was all kinds of rusty so I was gonna start to work on putting it back together when I had a thought to re-measure...yup, the rear diff. was going to hit the bed floor. After some brain storming the idea came to make a new bed frame and raise the bed floor at the same time.

Making the frame

101_1368.jpg

Nice and smooooth

101_1369.jpg

I welded the frame right to the bed sides and at the same time squared up, leveled, and trued the bed as it was a little out of shape. It came out alot stronger than I'd planned so no additonal bed bracing is going to be required...it's like a rock...errr, I mean build Ford tough

101_1373.jpg

101_1372.jpg

Put the bed floor back in a drilled for the mounting bolts. Tossing around gas tank ideas at the same time

101_1374.jpg

Took the bed floor back out and started on the bed floor spacers. They'll be welded to the bed frame (not the truck frame) and then through bolted from the top of the bed floor through the truck frame. Eight 1/2" bolts will go all the way through the bed floor, bed floor frame, and truck frame to hold it all together....it's not going anywhere.

101_1375-1.jpg

That's it for now. :D

Questions? Comments? Criticism? Suggestions? Something!? Anything?!

Holy crap! According to the dates on your post you did all that today:D.

Looking good, I think I spotted one or two CB750's in the background also look cool.

Sean

Really cool build!! I`m really diggin` the slicks on steelies in the rear and slots and skinnies on front!!! Lookin` forward to more. Really checkin` these trucks out since I`m buildin` my 48 F-2.:D

Holy crap! According to the dates on your post you did all that today:D.

Looking good, I think I spotted one or two CB750's in the background also look cool.

Sean

In a matter of minutes to be exact! ;)

Actually, that all got done this weekend. The rear end tear down and build up that is. Not the get it running, do the brakes part, that was awhile ago.
Tried to finish the bed up tonight but got caught up trying to figure out the front wheels/tires/clearance issues/how much to drop it/etc. Then my mom and sister kept calling me and the paint pen broke and got everywhere so that finished me off for tonight :rolleyes:

Yup, my '74 CB750 project

101_1339.jpg

And '71 CB450...not a project...just needs some tweaking

101_0965.jpg

Really cool build!! I`m really diggin` the slicks on steelies in the rear and slots and skinnies on front!!! Lookin` forward to more. Really checkin` these trucks out since I`m buildin` my 48 F-2.:D

Thanks man. The front slots are going though due to the Mustang II frontend that's going in. It changes the bolt pattern so I gotta find some different wheels. I've got a pair of bias wide whites that I'm going to put on it, just need to find some 16" steel rims with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. Apparently Ford made them from '49-'52 on some stuff so it's off to the junkyard to track down a set. Looking for trans for it as well. I've got a running 283ci that's going in.

Great Job!

Not Bad for a weekend worth of work! That is going to be an awesome truck. Any plans for the engine? Great job. I should stop by and check it out since im only 10 minutes from you.
Dave

Latest posts

Back