Flipping Front Axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratcrazy

OK I know this may be a strange question but its something thats been bugging me.

I have a front axle that has crossover steering and I am wondering if it can be turned around, putting the tierod on the front side of the axle and make it steer from the left side and still be safe?

Have I lost ya yet????;)

Is there any kind of factory angle build into the axle or can this be done safely?:confused:

Any input on this would be appreciated.

so your saying that you want to put the drag links and everything in front of the axle? Obviously you can just spin the axle 180 because the steering arm would be on the wrong side. You knew that allready. If you were going with the "traditional" steering set-up (push/pull)using a new steering arm i dont see anything wrong with it. But keeping it "cross steering" you may run into problems hooking it back up your steering box. actually, the steering box would have to mount WAY up front.

I guess "cross steering" is supposedly "safer" because it cuts down the bump steer.

I dont see how putting the steering setup in front of the axle would make it dangerous. Im sure the arguement is "its exposed, and if you hit something it will bend your draglink/tie rods!" But thats like the lame arguement "what if a little kid runs out in the street?" besides, if you hit something that hard with a rod you would probably have bigger things to worry about. Such as the grill and radiator that just got pushed into your fan.

Truth is tons of vehicles have the steering infront of the axle. I would imagine virtually EVERY 4X4 is set up this way.

like my father always says "anything can be done if you put your mind to it"

Is there any kind of factory angle build into the axle?

Yes there is, and it is call Ackerman angle. In simple terms it means that one wheel turns more than the other when making a turn to maintain proper steering geometry. If a vehicle is designed to have the steering arms behind the spindle and you turn the steering arms around it throws this angle out of whack, and it must be corrected to maintain proper handling. Here is a diagram and a technical explanation of Ackerman angle -

attachment.php

Ackermann steering geometry is a geometric arrangement of linkages in the steering of a car or other vehicle designed to solve the problem of wheels on the inside and outside of a turn needing to trace out circles of different radii. It was invented by the Anglo-German inventor Rudolph Ackermann (1764–1834) in 1810 for horse drawn carriages. Erasmus Darwin may have a prior claim as the inventor dating from 1758.

A simple approximation to perfect Ackermann steering geometry may be generated by moving the steering pivot points inward so as to lie on a line drawn between the steering kingpin and the center of the rear axle. The steering pivot points are joined by a rigid bar called the tie rod which can also be part of the steering mechanism, in the form of a rack and pinion for instance. With perfect Ackermann, at any angle of steering, the center point of all of the circles traced by all wheels will lie at a common point. Note that this may be difficult to arrange in practice with simple linkages, and designers are advised to draw or analyze their steering systems over the full range of steering angles.

BTW Hillbilly - No offense, but if you just "don't see why it wouldn't work" then you probably shouldn't advise on something as important as a steering setup. It could mean your life or someone else's...

I appreciate your advise, that answers my question perfectly and the axle will stay in its original position with the cross steering. I am new to alot of this working with these old parts and will ask questions when I dont know something. Thanks again Blue Eyed Devil and Unkl Ian.

What kind of tube steel should I get to build new tierods and connecting rod for the steering. What gauge and diamarter? And what kind of joints should I purchase?
Thanks

tierods & drag link

i made both of mine from 3/4 gas pipe , welded right & left threaded nuts to ends & 5/8 heims.they work fine,

Attachments

• 100_0659.jpg
    100_0659.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 73
i made both of mine from 3/4 gas pipe , welded right & left threaded nuts to ends & 5/8 heims.they work fine,

That is NOT going to work fine. Hopefully that will never see the road. Stop what you are doing and learn proper materials and techniques before you get yourself or someone else KILLED. :mad:

Latest posts

Back