1948 Diamond T Isuzu 4BD1T build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickBright

Have started on my '48 Model 306 Diamond T Truck project. Spent the day getting the cab ready to come off the frame.

I have a 1990 Isuzu NPR with a 4BD1T 4 cylinder turbo diesel. I have replaced the 16" stock rims with 19.5's on the rear of the Isuzu and have put probably 300 miles on the Isuzu just checking things out. Up to 1991 Isuzu diesels were direct injected and are a sleeved industrial diesel engine. After 1991 they went to indirect injection and started having some head failure issues. I had a 4BT Cummins for this project but after driving an direct injected early Isuzu diesel decided to go Isuzu. With the 19.5's sweet spot for the 4BD with the stock 5 speed transmission is right at 63 MPH.

Plans are to put the Diamond T cab and front clip on the Isuzu chassis. Keep the 5 speed, put a custom built flat bed on. May not be a "Real Rat" as I do plan on keeping the hood and front clip as is on the Diamond T. The Diamond T's have a chopped look from the factory. A couple of things I'll have to overcome is relocating the steering box on the Isuzu, and putting in a cable shift to shift the NPR 5 speed. I have a 5 speed cable shifter and cables from a 2002 Dodge Neon that I think will work as a shifter.

I have done a lot of measuring, the 4BT will fit under the hood great, when I line the trucks up front axles in line just about everything but the steering box lines up where it should. My main reasons for going with the Isuzu NPR chassis is the width of the front axle is close to the original axle under the Diamond T and the big 6 bolt pattern on the Budd wheels look good on the Diamond. I leaned the Isuzu Budd Wheels up on the Diamond T in the second picture so you can see how they will look.

Any thoughts comments or suggestions appreciated. I go to several sites on the web and this one has by far given me the most information for my build.
Rick

Attachments

• diamond t build 001.jpg
    diamond t build 001.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 57
  • diamond t build 004.jpg
    diamond t build 004.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 52
  • diamond t build 011.jpg
    diamond t build 011.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 52
  • diamond t build 013.jpg
    diamond t build 013.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 46
  • diamond t build 016.jpg
    diamond t build 016.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I sure do like those diamond t cabs... Looks like you got yourself a nice solid one too! Good luck with the build!

Looks good. Sounds like all your planning will pay off. [cl
Keep us up to date with pix. Might have to lower it just a bit. [S

Welcome aboard Rick, good lookin' stuff you got there......won't make
anyone mad if you share a few pics of the Olds......just sayin'

If you go to the Muscle Car Threads, about a month ago I put the story and some pictures of the Old's there. It's a '70 Rallye 350, I bought it 43 years ago, still a driver. Made a trip Arkansas to Texas in it a few months ago. Also in the introduction thread's under new from the Ozark Mountains I threw up some pictures of some of my other sicknesses....

Rick

If you go to the Muscle Car Threads, about a month ago I put the story and some pictures of the Old's there. It's a '70 Rallye 350, I bought it 43 years ago, still a driver. Made a trip Arkansas to Texas in it a few months ago. Also in the introduction thread's under new from the Ozark Mountains I threw up some pictures of some of my other sicknesses....

Rick

duh!!!!!!! boy do I feel dumb....I remember that now.....still more
wouldn't hurt........

Going to be a great build.[cl
And you are right on about this site. More info and more people willing to share it than most. And yes. We like lots of pics.:D
[P [P [P [P
Torchie.

Love the Diamond T's! Should make a nice truck. Here's a thought on the shifter----old cabovers, Pete's, KW's, Internationals, etc, used a rod and universal joint arrangement to shift. If you can find one of those from say the early 80's back, you might be able to adapt it to your transmission, or see how it works and build one to fit using steering U joints and double D steering shafts.

Latest posts

Back