1963 Rambler American "The Slambler"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty cool engine swap. I had a 200 in a 81 Mercury Capri with a 4 speed. I rebuilt the head gutted the convertor and put on a flowmaster. The old Capri would smoke a tire easy. Bet it performs well in that Rambler.

Very, i was a 200 pound 14 yr old that had to ride in the back set.:eek: But it was still fun, most have been it's 56 yrs later:eek: and i still remember it

I would certainly think so! My parent's friends always have stories related to a Rambler from back in the day, like literally all of them, it never ceases to amaze me! Haha

Pretty cool engine swap. I had a 200 in a 81 Mercury Capri with a 4 speed. I rebuilt the head gutted the convertor and put on a flowmaster. The old Capri would smoke a tire easy. Bet it performs well in that Rambler.

Thanks! I really hope it will burn some tire! The clutch on the flatty was junk and wouldn't even chirp, just slipped/bogged and slowly pulled away :(

Another update! Got the plates on the chassis and the crossmember welded up completely! I'm really happy with how the whole thing came out. Here's the crossmember in my vice after finally welding.

Then I decided that because no more (foreseeable) welding needs to be done to the center section of the floor, why not wire wheel it and paint it? So that's what I did today! I am still amazed at how clean the factory floors/underbody are! Not a single rust hole!

The area above the trans looks literally brand new because it has been covered in gear oil for probably its entire life :D I plan to weld up all the unnecessary holes in the engine bay and paint the bay gloss black with a real paint system and gun. I'm thinking it will really help my engine color scheme pop!

Little update: Got the old 200 up on the stand so that I can start making the rear sump pan. Also got a bunch of tune-up parts and such that will be going on when I'm ready to fire it up! I have a flywheel on the way also.

I haven't cleaned the engine at all since I bought it either! She's as clean as a whistle though. I also finally got an oven and wired it up in the garage so I can finally put my powder coating gun to good use!

Long time no update! Finally got my hands on an 8.5" flywheel! These things are getting REALLY hard to find. Had to get this one shipped to me from Sioux Falls, SD!

Also got the oil pan started, then did an engine/trans testfit with the new crossmember! She fits like a glove and with a dual sump pan everything will clear! So I got started making the pan and have it almost done. Just waiting on a new pickup tube that I will be hacking up to make a custom rear sump then I'll finish up the pan and move on to getting the engine mounted!

Can't wait to fire the old girl up!

hey, nice! and i approve of the patina... i have a '61 american ... roadster. i'm ditching the T96 and big-nut axle. see my April 2016 project in the BUILDS board...

i broke the 3rd gear synchro dogs, again. i built the trans in 2009? i think. i have a lot of spare parts, including new parts, they're not cheap as you know, if you want 'em you can have it all for the cost of shipping.

the pre-64 Americans are decent, high-quality little chassis, but they're funny in weird places so everyone ignores them.

i worked out a bunch of stuff for this chassis, it's all at http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/index.html.

Latest posts

Back