50 dollar notch...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STUBBS

Had some 2x4 tubing I had gotten at the surplus yard a while back and got some 1" sch 40 the other day and tackeled this notch... 1 chop saw blade and about6$ of argon for the welder... so here is the 50 dollar notch... [;)

Cut the angles at 30 degrees and then weld em together, top one has 6" inside clearance, the two that go down were 10" this gave me a 8" notch where I can go to the ground if I ever want to.

Installing them support your frame before the leaf hangers and also in the rear,figure out where your notches will be so your axle is centered in the middle, mark the bottoms of the notch to fit your frame curve etc, cut em off, then cut out the tops of the c channel frame so this fits in very tight inside the exist frame and all sides of the notch your installing goes in and flush, then tack weld the fronts and backs of this, then let the welding commence. Once welded on tops, inside the frame rail and outside, then use a sawzall or torch and cut out the middle between the notches. Grind smooth and weld that all up also. And the 1" bars are cut to fit snug in between the notches..

Tip: Bevel all areas to be welded before welding and will ensure a strong clean weld.

Attachments

• photo(16).JPG
    photo(16).JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 89
  • photo(17).JPG
    photo(17).JPG
    131 KB · Views: 78
  • photo(18).JPG
    photo(18).JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 87
  • photo(21).JPG
    photo(21).JPG