any thoughts to battery going dead in 38 Nash ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum

went to go to the local cafe for breakfast last Saturday in my old Nash... & to my suprise, the battery was totally dead ( it's an 8 volt, that's been in there 2 years ) the car started fine this spring, after sitting over the winter, but it's been a month since I drove it last... generator appeared to work as normal last time I had it out...

the car is old enough, that it doesn't have a "traditional" voltage regulator, but instead has a "cut out" a smaller box mounted on / near the generator...

...I'm thinking, maybe the contactor on the cut out stuck, & kept the generator fields powered up ??? I didn't leave anything on, like the lights, etc. but verified the actual dead battery by pulling the light switch on, after the car wouldn't start...

anyway, after I get it figured out, I think maybe a switch type battery disconnect through the seat riser on the drivers side might be in order...

for those that might want to beat me up on the 8 volt... it's worked great for 2 years, & I have a pair of 6 volt Optima's in a stainless tray waiting to go in the car, with custom tandom 00 cables... just haven't had the time or money, to get it on a lift to get the new cables installed... I don't think the 8 volt has anything to do with my dead battery

any thoughts as to the dead battery ???

Some way to verify your charging system is working properly is a start, from there I would see if there is any amp draw on the battery when everything is off, if so, address the amp draw first.

If everything is in order, perhaps it was just the battery's time to die, the lower voltage batters I've seen die fairly quickly for whatever reason... Time for a battery tender, they work wonders when leaving the vehicle for months at a time...

in 38... there was very little electrical system... headlights / brake / tail lights, & dash light, heater fan, & starter... thats about it on my basic car... I was told the old school unit uses the battery to power the generator coils ??? BTW... my charge guage seems work, & with the 8 volt battery, I've never even been close to having a dead battery yet, so with it sitting only 3 weeks to a month, there must be some new problem... just trying to figure out where to start looking...

BTW... I use the "Battery Tender" brand tenders, on all my stuff, but they are just coming out with an 8 volt unit this month, so I'll get one ASAP

I'd take the normal path here, pulling off a cable from the battery and checking for an amp draw, if there is one, start pulling fuses til it goes away...

For whatever it's worth...

I agree with DR.....pull the cable check for draw between the cable and battery...(even a test light will work) and start pulling fuses or disconnecting things till it goes out....Starter relay hanging up?? [P

I'm 99% sure my cut out stuck closed when I shut the car off, & the generator hot, ran my battery down...

but I am installing a switch type battery disconnect into ( through ) the seat riser right beside the battery ( under the drivers seat ) so the switch is visible when I open the door...

... & I have an 8 volt battery tender coming, to get the battery back to full charge

I haven't had the chance yet... the Tender & Switch are both coming from Evil Bay, so I'm waiting on parts yet

OK... maybe I'm a dumb ass... I should have known better, but I have not maintained my battery, since it's under the seat, under a steel cover ( even though it's extremely easy to do... it's just not under the hood )... I put my battery tender on last night, thought while I had it open, I'd take a cap off & look at the water level...

... um... what water level... all 4 cells were really low... I got at least 12 oz of RO water in each cell before they were up to proper level... I'd guess with the kick out & not a new didgital voltage regulator, coupled with a non maintenace free battery, that the water level should probably get checked a couple times a year, not every couple years... hopefully adding water & getting the battery recharged will get me going, & that I didn't wreck something by letting it get so low ???

must have damaged the battery... I have at least one bad cell in the battery... I charged it up, & it barely cranks the car over...:mad:

I didn't find a draw on the car, so I don't think it was the cut out... must have just been the dumb ass driver never checking the water, with the old charging system...

Latest posts

Back