Auction Stories from this past weekend

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPO

Buildin' it his way, one piece at a time...
This past weekend I went to an auction and thought it was pretty cool and would share with you guys some of what I saw...

The only pic that turned out I put there for you guys to check out... Any way Went to an auction about 10 min from where I live, heard about it through my moms hairdresser none the less.

Tons of tools picked up some stuff cheap.. electric die grinder $3.00 things of that nature. Anyway, walked in to the dark barn and low and behold it is crammed with Model T parts and two cars the first being an entirely complete 1917 touring car(dry and rot rot free), the second looked fairly complete except that all the parts were sitting in the body (1926 touring car also dry and rot free) I spotted a Model A bed standing in the corner so i decided to hang around...It took hours to get through all the tools... probably 4 hours, so I had some time to chat up some of the other guys there was a restorer there who already had 1 model T restored and owned a farm and was planning on setting up a track for people to come and rent the Model T's on his property and cruise around the track. Sounded like a cool idea to me. So at this point I basically decided I wasn't going to bid against the guy knowing they were going to be restored and appreciated, rather than me buying a touring car to cut down into a roadster bucket...

So the first complete car went for $2000 to the restorer that I had been talking to, which i thought was reasonable. He had told me earlier that was the only one he wanted. Then second car went up and no one was bidding then one person offered up 100, then then the restorer guy said for that price ill take it and bid 125... I had a hard time not bidding against the guy cause it sold for $125.00. So I am kinda kicking myself for not bidding on it but at the same time Im glad its going to get restored.

The parts went crazy cheep like 5 bucks for 4 fenders, $7 for a pile of buggy springs.

Finally the bed came up, I bid 5 bucks, no one was countering.. then the last second some dude chimed in.. anyway i wasnt sure if it was really going to work for my project so I wasn't going to bid crazy money on it.. him and i went back and fourth.. i let him get it for 70 dollars...

No more then 10 min later.. dude comes up to me and was like "I dont know what i was thinking I dont need this thing ill sell it to you for 75", I was like no thanks, then he told me 70 cause thats what he paid for it. I told him no thanks, cause at this point I was kinda mad cause if he hadent bid on it i would have gotten it for $5

So the search for a bed continues!

I would have liked to stick around longer to bid on some raw materials but they were wayyyyy at the end of the line but probably 20 tubes of 2x4x 3/16" box tubing that Im sure went for super cheap. But it was getting late and my girl friend was ready to go.. im sure you guys know how that goes.

This was my first auction experience.. and it was pretty cool.. hopefully I wont regret not grabbing the second car.. we will see...

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 50
Life usually at one point or another ends up with the thoughts of should have could have... in the end can't let it eat at you too much.

Any auction with anything like that around here you wouldnt see 4 fenders going for $5 let alone a bed for $70... Thanks for taking the time to share.

DUDE... I would have never let a car like that go to someone else for $125 unless it was my brother & even then I'd be tempted!!! And $75 is pretty cheap for a bed too! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Life usually at one point or another ends up with the thoughts of should have could have... in the end can't let it eat at you too much.

Any auction with anything like that around here you wouldnt see 4 fenders going for $5 let alone a bed for $70... Thanks for taking the time to share.

I think this was a very rare occurance... The place was just a random farm house and barn left over in suburbia... I can't imagine there's many places around here like that...

If I had use for the model t parts I would have jumped on the fenders and other parts... I could have lied to myself and bought the stuff to re sell it... But it would have just been more stuff to be tripping over... I have a bunch of parts I need to sell... Yet they just sit... I'd rather be working on my truck then trying to sell parts...

I would have gone way higher on the bed had it been one I really wanted... I like the model a beds but I like them on model a trucks and on roadster pick ups... I think it would have looked weird on my build because my z is so high... I'm really looking for a 30s gmc bed... But I'd settle for a few other ones...

DUDE... I would have never let a car like that go to someone else for $125 unless it was my brother & even then I'd be tempted!!! And $75 is pretty cheap for a bed too! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Jeeze you guys aren't helping... Haha oh well... I really didn't have anywhere to put another project for storage... And it would have just slowed down me finishing the truck...

You'll probably never see a sale like that again and will be kicking yourself for years to come. I hate to see a restorable car rodded though too.

Latest posts

Back