Bike project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
It has been over 30 years since I owned a motorcycle, but I bought one today. A lady brought her gas tank to me to see if I could fix it. It was full of rust , and junk. I figured the best way to fix it was to cut the top of the tank off and sand blast the inside, and then weld it back together. It turned out the job was going to cost her more than the bike was worth. She already had some offers, but I made the offer she took.

So now I own a 1982 Kaw 250. with a bad gas tank, and no front brakes.

A fairly new battery and tires that are 2 years old, but have no miles on them. Now what? I don't know for sure. Probably get it running first, then take it from there.
csr.jpg

Okay, the stock tank is full of junk. It has been rusted and sealed, and is coming loose inside. I happen to have an old sportster tank, and I can ,make it fit pretty well.

I fixed the brakes, just way out of adjustment.

But now a question for you guys. A little starter fluid, and she fires right off, but stops before my funnel runs out of gas. It doesn't sound bad, or even like it is running rough.
My thoughts, are that what ever came loose in the tank, is in the carb now. I think my next move is to take the carb apart, what say you?

It looking good. I see you are using a sporty tank. that front mount on that tank try to keep it below the backbone. Please do not drill the backbone to mount it.

It looking good. I see you are using a sporty tank. that front mount on that tank try to keep it below the backbone. Please do not drill the backbone to mount it.

Glad you told me not to drill, it looked like the best (easy) way to go. I am trying to get the tank down as low as I can,

Glad you told me not to drill, it looked like the best (easy) way to go. I am trying to get the tank down as low as I can,

I seen to many frames crack in that area from being drilled. Looks like the area were the pins stick out for the old tank may work.

Nice tank there. Just please be sure to remove the Harley Davidson logo from the sides. I wouldn't drill through the back bone , but it would be ok to drill under it through the fish plates. But, it still looks like you can make some small tabs to go from the exisitng studs to the new tank tabs. Like what you did with the rear fender. Did you get your carb problem worked out? Most likely something got into one or both of the jets.

Okay, the stock tank is full of junk. It has been rusted and sealed, and is coming loose inside. I happen to have an old sportster tank, and I can ,make it fit pretty well.

I fixed the brakes, just way out of adjustment.

But now a question for you guys. A little starter fluid, and she fires right off, but stops before my funnel runs out of gas. It doesn't sound bad, or even like it is running rough.
My thoughts, are that what ever came loose in the tank, is in the carb now. I think my next move is to take the carb apart, what say you?

Check your main jet(in the center and the bigger of the two) but most likely it is the slow jet(smaller of the two) it has a very very small hole in it and it's easy to get clogged when the tank lining comes off. That jet controls fuel flow from idle to about 1/4 throttle. And of course check the neddle and seat. If you need something for the carb,or further help P.M. me, I have done countless bike/atv carbs and have many pieces!

Check your main jet(in the center and the bigger of the two) but most likely it is the slow jet(smaller of the two) it has a very very small hole in it and it's easy to get clogged when the tank lining comes off. That jet controls fuel flow from idle to about 1/4 throttle. And of course check the neddle and seat. If you need something for the carb,or further help P.M. me, I have done countless bike/atv carbs and have many pieces!

Thank you very much. I have not had the time to get back to it yet, but the carb is the next thing I take apart. You may be hearing from me.

Thank you very much. I have not had the time to get back to it yet, but the carb is the next thing I take apart. You may be hearing from me.

clean the carb... it needs to be soaked and cleaned properly... it probably has varnish built up inside it... the float needle is probably stuck in addition to the jet being clogged...

Lucky for me I have a friend who used to do that kind of stuff for a living. He says he will help me out. It is great to have good friends.

Latest posts

Back