Body Fillers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grmorris

Can anyone give me advice on using body fillers? Its my first time doing this type of work so don't want to screw it up too bad! I have been researching the various types and have come up with a couple I think seem to fit my purpose. The two types are USC Fuzion Body Filler (non-spray on) and evercoat Slick Sand Rage Extreme (spray on). Anyone use these before? Thanks

Last edited:
body filler?

i'm not sure but i think body filler is an oxymorn (?) when talking rat rod?
just a thought, good luck with the build.

i'm not sure but i think body filler is an oxymorn (?) when talking rat rod?
just a thought, good luck with the build.

So he's not allowed to build his car the way he wants to?
I've always used non-spray on filler,It will take someone who's used both to compare but the spray on to me in theory would mean more work?

I used Evercoat Z Grip because it is formulated for bare metal and I had my truck media blasted before I did anything. It was my first go-around with any filler and I really liked it, the filler not the process:D. It is light weight, sands really fast and doesn't clog your sandpaper. I've used three Evercoat products and was satisfied with them all.

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17439

Attachments

• GMC 229.jpg
    GMC 229.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 21
I'm a retired body man, I didn't know they made any other type! I thought it was all for bare metal,

it used to be, but not anymore... many recommend a metal treatment/or epoxy coat before the filler goes on

i have used Z-grip (alot!:eek:) and like it as well.... the "spray-on" may be good stuff, -ive never used it, but i have been told it is more for a finishing coat (skim-coat) type repair than traditional "mix & swipe" fillers

the problem with filler failure is usually more of an "application" problem more than "product" failure IMO

I have used a number of brands....

bondo is a name brand, body filler is the product....I've used evercoat, bondo, and some usc brand....honestly they all seem about the same to me...it's how you use it that seems to make the difference...how you mix it, how much hardner, how heavy you put it on and how long you wait before you try to cheese grate it / level it before it dries completely...if you sand too soon it clogs the paper, if you wait too long to knock down the high spots it's tough to get off.....
the modern fillers seem to work well over bare and well sanded / roughed up areas both...it's a myth that you need bare metal.....you can buy metal to metal, filler with glass strands, and lighter easy to mix for those skim coats prior to finish prime..and you can get spot putty for those darn pin holes that always seem to appear when you think that your done....
I'm no body man by any means, but you can spend a ton of money in fillers....Dynalite by Bondo seems to work fine for most applications and is cheaper..it's all in the way you mix it and lay it down....completely mixed and in thin layers...don't gob it on...remember that for a golf ball size of filler you need about a pea size dab of hardner....at least that has always worked for me.....I've seen people try to fill an area that needed more metal work and ended up with 1/2 inch or more of filler trying to fill the void..not going to stay together..also, can't cover rust...it will pop....anyway...to sum it up....unless this is a show piece I'd stick with the cheaper dynalite or whatever brand you find that about 25 bucks a gallon....you'll pay a ton more for some of the other stuff that you probably don't need.... JMHO hope it helps

I'm a retired body man, I didn't know they made any other type! I thought it was all for bare metal, painted surfaces,holes, rust and whatever else you wanted to hide with it...

It's gotta be good... it has ZNX-7 in it! [S

Z-Grip®
An advanced, clog-free, lightweight body filler for today’s high tech metals. Formulated with ZNX-7® for superior adhesion to galvanized steel, bare steel and aluminum. Part of the MetalWorks® System that honors the OEM corrosion warranty. Contains Hattonite™ for effortless sanding.

Man...... you're like a spec sheet on this stuff..

It's gotta be good... it has ZNX-7 in it! [S

Z-Grip®
An advanced, clog-free, lightweight body filler for today’s high tech metals. Formulated with ZNX-7® for superior adhesion to galvanized steel, bare steel and aluminum. Part of the MetalWorks® System that honors the OEM corrosion warranty. Contains Hattonite™ for effortless sanding.

You must work with it...sell it or work for Z-Grip...!!!!:D

Well I can tell you from EXPERIENCE, the z grip is one of the best out ther. Stay away from BONDO and other body fillers you might find at auto zone. The quality of that stuff is poor. ther are a lot of fillers that say it is safe to apply over bare metal, dont do it. If you ever broke a peice of filler in half, you will see a bunch of little air bubbles. As you all know, air can hold moisture. Not good for bare metal. I always apply sealer to amy bare metal before any further progress. This is just on of the tricks of the trade I've learned over the years. Always willing to share advice so none of the fellow HHH members have to do things twice. I hate having to do things over myself.

Latest posts

Back