Brake Lines-100 questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgo70

I'm getting ready to run my brake lines and it's my first time ever doing this so I want to make sure I get it right. I have 49-54 chevy calipers from Speedway and an '86 Ford 9" rear drum. Here's what I have so far:

Front:
Master cylinder-2psi RPV-T connection-through frame fitting- flex line-caliper.

Rear:
Master Cylinder-pressure brake switch-10psi RPV-APV-flex line-T connection-wheel cylinders.

Hopefully this is right so far.

1. Are you supposed to use teflon tape or copper washers on the connections??
2. Banjo fittings on the calipers??
3. If I use steel lines what brake fluid?? Will they last??
4. 3/16" or 1/4" lines??

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions,

Sean

I can help with a couple questions. Copper washers only need to be used on the connections at the calipers,banjo fittings, etc.You shouldn't need to use teflon tape cuz the end connections or splices are a double flare and seal themselves when you tighten the nut. Get a flaring tool so you can make your own end connections if needed. Tubing bender also if you need to route your lines around the frame and mounts,etc. Not sure what to tell ya about size of line. I used 3/16 on my car. DOT 5 fluid is synthetic based and is good, in my opinion, if the car sits for a period of time{winter months for example} cuz it does not take on moisture like regular fluid can and won't sieze up calipers or wheel cyls(White rust). If you have a good sealed system regular brake fluid usually works just fine. Hope some of this helps ya out.

Helps out lots, thanks. I bought a bunch of the pre-made lines cause they came in 72" lengths and I didn't want to screw around with coiled tubing. Also bought about 30 fittings and started to stick everything together in my living room to make sure it all works. I bought a flaring tool, bender and cutter so now I'm gonna start getting it cut to size and then I'll start the routing and bending.

I was thinking DOT 5 fluid but wasn't sure if it was compatable with everything. It was cheaper to buy the pre-made 8" pieces than it was to buy the two fittings so I can just cut one end off and flare it:confused:.

Sean

Attachments

• PC290761.JPG
    PC290761.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 14
  • PC290760.JPG
    PC290760.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 12
  • PC290763.JPG
    PC290763.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 15
You said you bought a flaring tool. You need to make double flares, not single flares.

Is yours a double flaring tool?

I get the feeling you know this, but this is one place to do good work. The instructions with your double flaring kit will tell you to deburr the inside of the tube and file the outside (if its rough) and you should do this. Your flares will come out real nice.

A tubing bender is a nice thing to have as well.

Yea I guess I should have said double flaring. It has the little buttons with it and the directions show how to double flare but the wording is about single flare so I was a little confused at first. I've been sitting here practicing at my kitchen table. I de-burred them like you said and lubed them up a bit as well, took about four tries to get one done just getting used to how tight to go. I read to go as tight as you can but it leaves a sharp ridge so I let up a bit. Hopefully I can get away with just doing a few and leaving the originals as much as possible.

Sean

Practice with the flare tool and you'll get the hang of it. I used to hate makin brake line, but now its no big deal. One note with DOT 5 fluid is that it is not compatible with regular brake fluid, don't mix em. Sounds like your on your way to gettin your lines run.

Latest posts

Back