Broke - but an IDEA!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehick

In the introduction page, I commented on how I'd like to make a hybrid between a late 40's sedan rat rod and a rock crawler...if I could do it, and when I have the time/money for it. Main reason I like the sedan - is I like the longer body style, and I'm quite used to driving a logner wheel base (driving a 21' truck for ~4-5 years now (that'd be a ext cab, LB truck). And futuristicly - if/when I have kids - I'd like to think I could carry at least 2 in the back.

So - either a late 40's sedan or an early 70's suburban. The sedan is more narrow - which is ideal for the trail, but less ideal for the build and comfort...maybe. The suburban - cause it might offer for space for everything I want to do - but either way - chopping the tops and extending the leg room (I'm 6'3" - need some room).

Ideally - it'd be pretty sweet to find a diesel that is low profile and as mechanical as I can find (get rid of all the wires everywhere - cause I don't want a hood all the time) But since that's not too typical - I might have to go with a straight six or a 350 v8 or a 454....I'm really going to have to shop around - cause I need clearance at the bottom for offroading, but with a chopped top - I'll need to be able to see above/around the engine

I'm thinking as far as bottom end clearance - do what GM did with the humvees - put the transfer case as high as possible (sitting in between the driver/passenger seats) and route the drive shafts down the center of the vehicle. I'll probably have to start off with leaf springs - but honestly they make the vehicle sit too high, so I think 4-link w/ coil springs would be best.

For offroading - 40's front and rear, but for on the road/cruisin - I'm thinking something like 20" tires on the front and 265's or 245's on the rear - try to drop the height with the tires. May have to figure out a modified frame to tuck the axles up - but not sure how/if that's possible - to keep the clean(er) look that you typically see with Rods.

The axles would be a favorable Dana 60's front and rear - both steering. Actuality - if this project ever happened - I'd probably start out with 14 bolt rear drum and D-44 front - with 11" brakes = 16" wheels?? maybe? I don't want to go IFS, but if there are issues with clearance, weight, etc - that might be an option.

Removable exo-cage for the cab and engine bay. If I decided to have a removable hard top - then I'd have to put the cage on the inside.

Again - I've got NO money for projects (yet I still look around for deals). I've been searching for a more fuel efficient vehicle for a daily driver since my commute is 32 miles 1 way, but if I came across something that I could "use as a secondary cheap, just-in-case vehicle" than I might be interested in starting early.

I'd probably start out with an early 70's suburban/truck 4x4 - just so I'd already have the axles/springs/frame/motor/etc.

Soooo am I crazy? Most of my family/friends think so, and I haven't even told them of this new idea, haha

Is this the kind of body style your thinking of? It's my 48 Olds. 60" track width and 125" wheelbase. It's longer than most GM's of the time - more foot room for the rear seat. I could easily see it as a 4x4, not so much as a rock crawler - I always think of crawlers as open wheel though. Unless you sectioned it, there is a good amount of up-down space under the hood. My frame was pretty beefy compared to the Chevy frames I've seen. In the pic, the tires are 235/75/r15's with about 7" (?) room above before they'd rub the fenders.
attachment.php

My model A was on 57" rice and canes with Rockwell axles for a while ....never made it past mock-up stages. I didn't want to trash the A when things went wrong (they always go wrong eventually).

i can't help buy laugh at myself, haha, but I never considered the fenders, haha. I've been thinking so much of just having no hood, no fenders - bare boneness. :) I think fenders would be rather nice - but they'd have to be removable, and I can't really comment on exactly what body style I'm looking for, unfortunately, because I don't know alot about the older cars. :( (Which is why I'm here, :) ) - but it's good to know that your '48 has a stout frame, and room to spare. :)

Latest posts

Back