Can you offer advice on a flathead?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Talbot

I was hoping to find a "Flatheads for Dummies" thread as I know almost nothing about the flathead. It's not that I don't know my way around cars. I've just stayed with 60's muscle car for my last few builds. And although I enjoy building cars as a hobby, I’m not an expert engine guy either.

I hadn't really been all that interested in older hot rods until I came across a few 32-34 Ford trucks. Love the look of them channeled and chopped. I ended up buying a '34 Ford truck and need to decide on my engine choice. I'm very much leaning toward a flathead V8… honestly, just because they look so cool and period correct. My ultimate goal would be to have an engine that looks period correct, reliable (needs to drive 100-200 mile trips several times over the summer), and has some decent torque off the line. Top end speed isn't really all that important to me. And of course, it has to sound awesome.

Of all my priorities of running a flathead, reliability would probably be at the top. So any tips or tricks to improve or modernize the engine without a huge sacrifice in the period correct look would be greatly appreciated. I also need to know what carb setup to go with… one, two, three, etc. Is there a sweet spot in carb setup for torque vs. reliability?

My budget is around $3K-$3,500. Leaning toward a T-5 transmission because I’ve been told “it’s what all the guys use”. Any comments, suggestions, or pointing me to other threads or links would be greatly appreciated ...travis

You might be able to rebuild a stock flatty for $3-3,500 and get 100 hp and about 200ft/lbs torque. You can get 300hp but it takes lots more $$ and reliability goes out the window. Single carb works best but multiple looks cooler. High Comp heads are nice cost $600 new. Buy the biggest radiator that will fit.
Get Joe Abbins book Hot Rodding the Flat Head. http://www.amazon.com/335-Flathead-Ford-Performance-Handbook/dp/0615263844

You can a lot of info on the HAMB just don't mention "Rat Rod".

Here's mine. 1948 59AB bored .060 over, Offenhauser heads and 2X2 intake manifold with Holley 94s, Reds headers.

Latest posts

Back