Car shows on TV

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Boy, the car shows are really getting popular on TV these days, most of them on the Speed Channel, but ESPN and some others have shows too. What do you folks think of some of these shows? Here are some of the ones I watch and my opinions:

1) Pinks. It annoys me less than it used to, but the negotiating still gets to me and confuses me a little. I also would not be able to take another guy's car if I won, I would have to give it back to him unless he was a jerk during the racing.

2) Pinks All Out. Much better IMO. Most of the drama and bickering are gone from this show.

3) Livin' The Lowlife. I really like this show. The girl pretty much keeps it real, unlike the tuner shows where they hire some dumb blonde who asks stupid questions. I also like seeing the culture, which I didn't know a lot about.

4) Rides. It is back on the air (I think it was gone for a while) and I watched the first show I had seen for a while. Jay Leno and his cars were featured this week and it was interesting.

5) Overhaulin'. I haven't seen the new one but supposedly the Prank calls and stupid stuff are gone. Good! :) They say Chip didn't like the direction the Producers were taking the show and wanted it more real.

6) Pass Time: I kind of like this one. It is fun to see how close you come to the time they actually run. Plus, lots of the races originate at Bradenton Florida race track, so that is cool to see a place where I have been a few times.

So, what you y'all think about these shows and what are your favs?

Don

Pimp!

Don,
You forgot... Pimp My Ride!!! ; - >

I think some of the stuff they do on Overhaulin' is stupid but the cars they build are always incredible. A friend said those cars wind up costing about $250K because of all the high paid people workin' on them 24 hours a day! Still sweet though! I really don't care for all the drama on any of the shows but even HP TV has some good stuff you can use every now & then!

BoB

Hey Don, I watch all those shows. If it's about cars I want to see it. The only car shows that I don't watch are the foreign car (tuner) shows. I still think Pinks is phoney. I don't think those guys are stupid enough to lose their ride with the arbitrary way of getting an advantage. I think Pinks agrees to pay the loser for their car if they lose. That being said I still watch every minute of it. I just love to see the cars run. I'm like you about the "Culture" of Living the Lowlife. I don't know much about their lifestyle but they can do some cool things with cars. Kinda like RRR, the only limit is your imagination. I'm sure I would sleep a lot better if I could get these cars out of my head. Every night I read RRR then scan the local yard sale site for auto parts and then on to Craigslist for auto parts. I look at everyone in a 150 mile radius of me. Of course to the east is just ocean. I've learned to live on 6 hours of sleep each night. Harleyboy

you are right on don...but, i like the dumb blond on the tuner show better than the tuners. funny but pinks dont bother me any more ether but american chopper makes me crazy. if i had to work with the dad i would go postal on him.

I haven't seen some of the shows listed. Pinks isn't really my thing. Shut up and race I say. Sometimes rides is decent. I like Fosse so occasionally I'll catch an episode of Overhaulin. On the weekends in the shop I have the TV on and sometimes stop and watch some of the Powerblock shows or race/car show coverage on ESPN. Overall though, I don't watch very much TV at all.

I love most of the car shows on tv, my main ones are power block and livin the low life.

Wrecks to Riches....You can keep that one too.

What someone should put on the air is a show to see what someone can build with no more than 3 to 5000 dollars. Real people searchin the yards in 100+ heat to find just what they need to set their ride apart from the crowd. No master fabricator skills, No master body work, No 3000 dollars worth of billet rims and stereo.

I better quit before I get long winded...:mad:

you are right on don...but, i like the dumb blond on the tuner show better than the tuners. funny but pinks dont bother me any more ether but american chopper makes me crazy. if i had to work with the dad i would go postal on him.

Yep, I can't take the tuner shows. Like my Son says, if you turn the sound off they are watchable because of all the girls in bikinis! :D On that same note, the girl on Livin' The Lowlife is really cute, but a little large in the bottom for me. My Sons tell me she is a famous model and that I'm crazy for thinking that. They say I should see her in a bikini. :rolleyes:

Guess I'm getting old............. :eek:

Don

The ones listed above I also watch.They are set up in the DVR.I just watch them all on a day that I have some time.There was also a show on the tube that I really liked.It was called Drag Race High.It wa about 2 high schools that had 6 weeks to build a drag car and then race them against each other for bragging rights.Charles from pinks was overseeing it.Was really nice that kids had the oppertunity to actually buld cars for the track.

Geez George, I was just wondering where you have been. :D Nice to hear from you again.

I forgot about Drag Race High. I really enjoyed it, so nice to see small town people who are friendly and everybody knows everybody else. Like that parade they had, the whole town came out and there were like 100 people there! :D

That one instructor really PO'd me (the one where his class didn't get the car done on time) He had this smug attitude of "We are building a REAL racecar, not a warmed over street car." He made some horrible decisions for the kids by trying to build a tube chassis car in the short amount of time they had to do it, the other guy did it the right way. I loved it when the "warmed over street car Mustang" ran low 9's right off of the trailer. :D Also loved it when they beat the "real race car."

Yep, that show was fun.

Don

I also agree with what you just said.The instructor with the mustang was on top of everything all the time.Made as many calls to get what he needed to keep on top of stuff.In the end he actually had alot of support from vendors with parts and tuning at the track.I would like to see more of these types of shows where kids can be involved with our heritage.It also keeps them off the streets.

Yeah, the other instructor was mad because the other team got so much support and donations. No wonder! That coach was on the phone a lot drumming up help and the other guy stood around complaining because things weren't happening fast enough. Duh, get off your butt and do something, it ain't gonna happen on it's own. :confused:

Don

Hey Now......I'm a truck girl and as country as they get, y'all forgot about Trick My Truck on CMT. I love that show!

Yep, leave it to me to mention something about big rigs and country on the RRR!!! :D :D

But y'all know me, I gotta throw in my 2 cents worth every once in a while...LOL ;)

No program for you!

You guys and gals in America are so lucky here we have only 5 TV channels and 1 community station-channel 31 and their the only one with any hotrod, modified car or car restoration programs.:mad:

Weekdays!

Most of the cars shows are about cars I can't afford, so I don't watch. It's like going to Barrett Jackson, why bother.

Gasser,
They typically only show Fir & Sat nite on BJ TV... that's when they auction all the high priced stuff. During the weekdays you can actually pick up some decent deals if u're lucky but it also costs $500 just to be able to bid! That is too dangerous a place for the old Tripper but so is daBay!!! Addicts have to stay away form temptation!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Latest posts

Back