Couple questions about running an s10 frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onetondodge

Hello all,

I have a couple newbie questions about running old bodies on s10 frames, until I joined this group I did not know this was a fairly common thing to do. I am getting a parts truck for my current dodge build, The parts truck is coming with two cabs, multiple fenders, etc. I also have a title to this second truck.

My plan was to build my current truck to be a stock truck like it would have been back in the day, but I was bouncing ideas around about doing something with the second truck. I thought about z'ing the frame, dropping a sbc in it and so on. Until I realized it might be much easier to run one of the cabs on an s10 frame with a v8 swap, This is where I started to have more questions.

1. If I bought a s10 parts truck off ebay(the ones that say this cannot be repaired to be driven on the road) can I still use the frame off it? I guess I am totally confused on what the truck becomes(legally) when you swap an s10 frame. Is it an s10 or a 47 dodge?
2. Depending on the answer to my first question; If it is an s10, then I asume I have to run emissions equipment on it to be legal, is this correct?
3. I see many fords and chevys on s10 frames, but have not seen any dodges. I assume this is only because there are fewer dodges out there to begin with. So does anyone know if there are any problems with running a dodge cab on an s10 frame?

These are a couple questions I have just off the top of my head, I'm sure I am leaving out obvious questions that I should be thinking about, so if you have any other comments that could help I would appreciate them.

thank you,
Paul

Newer frame do not have a VIN or any ID associated with it. So you would use your cab VIN and it would be a 47 Dodge. The DMV folks are not going to look under it.

I've seen Rods built on Dakota, Ranger, Toyota, and Nissan frames too. Just a matter of getting one the right width and wheelbase.

I would check with your state DMV. Some states consider a frame swap a special construction vehicle. Best to check with them before dumping money into something that has to comply with current smog rules.

I would check with your state DMV. Some states consider a frame swap a special construction vehicle. Best to check with them before dumping money into something that has to comply with current smog rules.

That makes me happy that I live in a somewhat free state .. Alabama , where the grass is green and the skies are blue and the rules are not so tight !! :)

Hello all,

I have a couple newbie questions about running old bodies on s10 frames, until I joined this group I did not know this was a fairly common thing to do. I am getting a parts truck for my current dodge build, The parts truck is coming with two cabs, multiple fenders, etc. I also have a title to this second truck.

My plan was to build my current truck to be a stock truck like it would have been back in the day, but I was bouncing ideas around about doing something with the second truck. I thought about z'ing the frame, dropping a sbc in it and so on. Until I realized it might be much easier to run one of the cabs on an s10 frame with a v8 swap, This is where I started to have more questions.

1. If I bought a s10 parts truck off ebay(the ones that say this cannot be repaired to be driven on the road) can I still use the frame off it? I guess I am totally confused on what the truck becomes(legally) when you swap an s10 frame. Is it an s10 or a 47 dodge?
2. Depending on the answer to my first question; If it is an s10, then I asume I have to run emissions equipment on it to be legal, is this correct?
3. I see many fords and chevys on s10 frames, but have not seen any dodges. I assume this is only because there are fewer dodges out there to begin with. So does anyone know if there are any problems with running a dodge cab on an s10 frame?

These are a couple questions I have just off the top of my head, I'm sure I am leaving out obvious questions that I should be thinking about, so if you have any other comments that could help I would appreciate them.

thank you,
Paul

sorry im late onto this -- but i just read it and noticed you lived in texas ---
if youre worried about emissions etc -- run it on a truck thats old enough for you to be exempt from emissions testing -- and still new enough for youre liking --
So -- for instance in Texas cars older than 24 years (in all counties) are considered antiques and exempt from emissions testing.

This car has a complete S-10 frame under it, and it was registered as a 1939 Plymouth.

ply3copy.jpg

My Studebaker has an S-10 front sub frame, and an S-10 rear tied into the Studebaker frame.

As much as I'm a GM guy, I recently found out that a Ford Ranger frame is is pretty much parallel front to back (not a perimeter frame like the S-10) which works better with a narrower body like a 20's or 30's truck

Back