Ed Roth Orbitron found !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomech

Mr. Willys
look i found this on a bulletin from myspace i have no clue if its real or not
i cut and pasted this from myspace(i assume no liability):D

The Ed "Big Daddy" Roth Orbitron was found last week and now has a new owner.

The car was found in Mexico. It was used in a carnival for several years and then as a trash can in front of an adult book store until just last week.

The new owner hopes to restore it.

Here is the scoop.
The car was originally owned by some introverted collector, a Doctor, many years ago in the state of Texas.. it is also rumored that this person also owned the Rotar which is now owned by Beau Boeckmann of Galpin Motors in Van Nuys.

The Orbitron was traded by the Doctor to a guy for another project, this guy got into some drug trouble and in turn traded it to his lawyer for his fees. After that the lawyer sold it to another guy down south of the boarder who then sold it to the carnival owner who was then killed in 1991 because he flaked on a drug deal.

The owner of the Adult Book store was the nephew of the carnival owner and has had the Orbitron since 1991.

The owner of the book store believed that his uncle had actually built the car but the only thing that the uncle had done to the car was to cut off the nose of the vehicle and put a radiator in it to drive it around the carnival grounds. The reason for cutting of the nose was to show all of the chrome work that was hidden.

As a matter of fact for those of you that might remember, that the Orbitron was not one of Roth's most popular cars because of this reason. The mill and all of the chrome was pretty much hidden underneath the hood and and the body of the car so therefore the car did not have the impact... that Wow factor that most of the other cars that Roth had put together.... maybe this was something that Ed Newton might have over looked.. who knows..

But anyway...

The current owner restores cars for the elite down in Mexico and found the Orbitron sitting in front of the bookstore and has been hounding the family for over a year in regard to the sale of the car. The owners of the book store didn't want to sell the car because of sentimental reasons.

The current owner convinced the owner of the book store that he was familiar with his uncles car, and if he had sentimental feelings for the car, then why was it that he was allowing people to use it as a trash can? and then convinced the owner of the book store that he could restore the thing back to it's original condition. It was at that time that the nephew finely let the thing go and sold it to the current owner..

At this time the names, dates, locations and the current owner are being kept under wraps, Why? Because the current owner has requested it.

The full story and any and all corrections of the information will be released shortly once it is decided whether the current owner will actually underwrite the restoration or if it will be sold to those who have already made offers.

Yes, this story is true, it is the Orbitron, we have confirmed it, yes that is the original mill, steering wheel, along with the wheels and even the tires. And it even has remnants of the funky carpeting that Ed Roth installed way back when.

As far as the restoration, we are currently working on the team of builders.. Candidates include, Fritz, Mark and Larry Watson who originally painted the car with a Candy Blue over a Pearl under coat.

So stay tuned Finksters there is more to come on this needle in the hay stack, the last of the Mohicans, yes even for those of you who think it's ugly!

Oh yeah, back to Ed Newton, the Newt is currently designing a new creation that is being built as we speak.. News of that endeavor will be released shortly too, so hang in there gang, times are changin' and changin' for the good!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

tha Moldy one
Curator "The Orbitron Project"

Attachments

• ORBITRON024.jpg
    ORBITRON024.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 49
  • edroth.jpg
    edroth.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
It's amazing that these finds are still happening. I wonder how long that car was sitting in the street without anybody recognizing it. I can't wait to see this one restored. I'm a sucker for showrods. I got to see a display with many Roth cars at the Detroit Autorama two years ago. It was way cool.

Latest posts

Back