Engine block welding/repair

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid

I picked up a rusted out 8BA Flathead and found that there's a deep gouge across the gasket surface of the block deck from one exhaust port to another on the adjacent cylinder. Other than the gouge, and some rust pitting on the deck, I think it's a salvageable core.

The gouge is about 1/16” deep and needs to be filled. I’ve read where it can either be welded by a pro or that epoxy could be used.

Does anyone here know of any pros/cons to each method and which one would be provide the best solution.

Thanks

Sid

I don't think I'd trust epoxy on something that sees combustion.

It's not completely in the combustion area, maybe just a tad bit. Most of it will be sandwiched between the head gasket and head.

Sid

Sid, is it possible to post a picture, and do you have a set of calipers to measure the width of the gouge, and then use something like a nice piece of mig wire and measure the depth of the gouge. Also, bring one of the good pistons up to T.D.C. and see if you can measure the deck hieght, or the dimension that the top of the piston is to the top of the deck. Or, how far its "in the hole", if you hang around with some engine guy's. You can achieve that dimension without a deck bridge and dial indicator, by using a straight edge across the bore and then some feeler gauges in betwwen the straight edge and the pistom top. It will get you close enough. I have 30 years of race engine building exp., we might be able to save the flattie. I am actually considering two diffrent plans of attack. Sorry, Flipper is right, you must forget the epoxy deal.

Last edited:
OK, epoxy is out. I measured the depth to 0.022 inches, not as deep as I guessed but deeper than I planned on having it decked 0.010 inches. I found a local shop that works on flatheads and I'm going to take it in to see what can be done. I'm hoping that this engine can turn into a rebuilder for someone. They are so hard to find these days, well, at least for a reasonable price.

Sid

Latest posts

Back