Engine choices, opinions wanted

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

440shorty

I posted this in my build thread in the Builds section, but I thought that maybe it would get more views here. I know that it sounds odd, but I have quite a few engines and am trying to decide what engine to put into my project. Keep in mind that there will be no hood or fenders to hide the engine, so it will be out in the open for all to see. I want to use a 5-speed, but all I have are NWC T-5 transmissions, which puts a limit on the torque I can put through it. I'd like to use an odd-ball engine, but one that has respectable power. Also, the total weight should be around 2000 pounds, so it won't take a lot of power for it to be fun to drive. No matter what engine I choose, I have a 3.90 geared O rear that will even turn the weakest engine into somewhat of a hero, and overdrive will make it streetable.

Here are my current engine options ( I can post pics later of some of them) in no particular order:

(1) '66 Buick 340 V8 - only built for 2 years, looks different than later Buick V8s. It's a 2-bbl engine ( 9:1 compression) but I have a 4-bbl intake and the parts to put it together. I'd need to get a stick flywheel, though. Looks bigger than it is - has a tall deck.

(2) 403 Olds (or maybe a 350 Olds) - I have most of the parts - hot cam, fresh heads, Performer RPM intake, etc. but the 403 short block is worn out (kinda usable) or I'd have to mix 'n' match parts + buy rings & bearings to piece together a 350 short block.

(3) Cadillac 4100 V8, FWD version - very odd ball, but small displacement (250 cubes) - it is a GM reman, ran when pulled. Aluminum block, iron heads. Would have people guessing, but rated at 150 HP stock, with few aftermarket parts available. Easy conversion to carb + HEI though. T5 5 speed can mate to it - I have the bellhousing.

(4) All aluminum Olds V8 - another small-cube powerplant - the heads are off mine, so I'd have to buy parts to at least reassemble it; disadvantage is that it has a weird bellhousing pattern, and I only have the baby Slim-Jim auto for it.

(5) Taurus SHO V6 - we have the complete engine and harness, but would need to scrounge up a Ranger 5-speed and some parts to make it work. 220 HP, wild looking, for sure.

(6) I can get a running '89 EFI 3.8 Buick (FWD) V6 with harness and ECU, and I have a factory supercharger setup off a '93. Would take some work, but would definitely be different.

What do you all think??

440shorty

P.S. It would figure that I have the smallest displacement Cad engine ever made.

440shorty, I personally like choice number one, the 66 Olds 340. But if I'm not mistaken, 340 was the HP or torque rating. I believe the engine was actually a 401 cubic inch version.

440shorty, I personally like choice number one, the 66 Olds 340. But if I'm not mistaken, 340 was the HP or torque rating. I believe the engine was actually a 401 cubic inch version.

No, the Buick 340 was 340ci, but it is the torque rating. Same family as the 300ci Buick. I think they were only made a couple of years. A friend has one in his 66 Skylark and he has trouble getting parts for it. Which should be considered.

The Old 403 was used in Pontiacs and lots of aftermarket stuff for them. Kinda big and heavy.

I'd go with the SHO V6 or the 3.8L Buick both faily light and can produce plenty of power for 2000lbs.

My $0.02

That Caddy 4100 was the biggest dog ever built by Cadillac, I owed a Sedan DeVille with one and they had a horrible reputation for eating camshafts. I took mine to the Caddy Dealer to find out why it was running poorly and they filled me in on the bad news. I sold it immediately because the tab was going to be $3000 to rebuild it. :eek: Next year after that Cadillac went to the 5.0 engine.

As for your other choices:

Buick 340: This could be the winner of the whole lot. Made in 66-67 before the 350 came out. Standard Buick Olds Pontiac bellhousing pattern so you could put a TH350 or 400 behind it. Parts might be drying up by now, and very little speed/dressup equipment available. Overall a good engine.

403 Olds: This was GM's Corporate Engine, used in a lot of various makes and models. Lots came in TransAms. Not a horrible engine, but not as well respected as the 350, 400, or 455. You saying the block is shot would rule it out for me.

All aluminum V8: Run don't walk to get away from this one. Were used in lots of cars like Rovers, but had some seating and block issues.

Taurus: Don't know a darned thing about them. Could be ok?

3.8 Buick: These were hauling little muthas with a blower on them. Could be cool.

I like to keep things simple, so for me the 340 Buick would be my choice.

Don

imho i'd put the good 455 olds in your "project" and put the 340 buick in that G wagon. my thinking is that going your way you'll end up with 2 relatively quick cars, my way you end up with one very quick car. the 455 in a 2000 lb car = low 11 second et's. 340 buick in same = low 13's at best. 455 in wagon might go 12's. but its your decision. you make the call.

Wasn't that Buick 300/340 based on the aluminum engine, to replace it because of reliability issues? That's a good engine, and it's NOT A CHEVY!
Myself, I'd sell 'em all and buy me a D500 325 Hemi, but that's just me. Or a flathead Ford.

The SHO Taurus motors were cool,in a high tech sort of way,
decent power but their stock transmissions were the weak links.
No idea on the bellhousing,but I've seen a couple in rods.

The Caddy V8 also had a rep for blown head gaskets.Not my first choice.
Bell housing pattern matches the Chevy 60 degree V6.

On some FWD V6,the block is different from RWD.They don't have
the mounting bosses on the side for regular motor mounts.
Check before going too far.

i like the olds but you know that after all the time you spent helping me with a jetaway trans on my 57 371 j2 olds. thanks again and i will be picking up my new(used) 57 jetaway saturday...

Thanks, and keep them coming!

Thanks for the responses so far!

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I still want this project to have a clutch. To me, an old rod doesn't sound right rolling off unless that sound includes a clutch being let out. Think about it - the movie American Graffiti depicts hot rodding ca 1962. Milner's coupe would have been a stick, since the Aluminum PG was brand-new and most rodders would adapt a V8 to the early Ford driveline. I know that my project isn't OLD, but I want it to have an old vibe.

I think I might dig out the little Caddy mill and see if I can get a carb adapted to it and see if/how it runs. I do have a brand-new clutch kit for the small GM flywheel, too...

As far as engine mounts, I have to fabricate a crossmember anyway, so I can make do with whatever bolt holes the particular engine might have.

I'll probably be finishing the Buick 340 assembly, and getting that one running too. I do have a little Skyhawk (RWD) that I could put the V8 Buick into...

I'll try to get some pics up this week.

440shorty

P.S. It is nice that we have an engine run-in stand...

Latest posts

Back