Exhaust coating

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
Got this exhaust from Bill Cathcart, the Studebaker Champion guru of the universe, for my 185 flathead 6. He took a stock exhaust cut out the carb heat portion and welded on the down tubes. It is all cast iron.

In the past I have applied ceramic coating with my detail gun. This coating is expensive. I didn't have much to coat here because these are pretty small pieces. Before coating I took off most of the casting marks to give them a smoother look.

I found some rattle can ceramic(so it says) by VHT and thought I would give it a go. Applied per directions. When it was dry and could be handled (3 hours). I put them in the oven I use for powder coating and according to direction heat for 30min @ 250f let cool for 30min then heated to 400f for 30min, let cool for 30min then heated to 550 for 30min, let cool overnight. Instructions said 600f for 30min but my oven doesn't go that high, its an old kitchen oven.

I as happy with the results. We'll see how it goes after some real world use.

studeexhaust1.jpg

Those look pretty good. Do you use your wife's oven or do you have an old one in the garage? My wife told me her oven is off limits, don't even give it another thought :rolleyes:
I would like to get an old one to do some powder coating of my own.

Those look pretty good. Do you use your wife's oven or do you have an old one in the garage? My wife told me her oven is off limits, don't even give it another thought :rolleyes:
I would like to get an old one to do some powder coating of my own.

Lol that why you work when they sleep. The dishwasher is AMAZING!!! :D

Good stuff c-dog. Neat manifold and coating information. I hope you update the thread with a durability report. I'd be real interested in that.

Latest posts

Back