Gastrick shows his true colors !!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I'll try to make this as short as possible, but anyone knowing me knows I can't say anything in one sentence. I know Bill (Gastrick) will hate this because he is a very modest, low key kind of guy, but I have to write and tell you other guys what he is really like.

Long story short, my Son Don is in love with American Graffiti and especially Milners coupe. A few weeks ago he went to a local show and Paul LeMat was there signing autographs and Don got a signed piston shift knob. He posted that on another forum and Bill posted back that he had a 4 carb setup almost like the one on Milners coupe and he might be interested in selling it to Don. Don PM'd him back and told him he was interested and to send him some pictures. In the meantime I secretly PM'd Bill and told him I wanted to buy it for Don for a gift, and we agreed on a price, which was way under what Bill paid for it. I felt guilty but Bill simply wanted my Son to have it, and wasn't concerned about how much he made on it.

Today I drove over to Bills home in Ft. Lauderdale and picked it up, and it is fantastic........never been on a car. I drove back home and tonight Don came over to the shop and I gave it to him. He was blown away, and has called me 4 times to thank me, and Bill for it. He is ready to order a 32 frame and start building his dream car. The hardest part to find is the correct intake setup, and Bill took care of that for him. Thanks Bill, I owe you one.
I ran into the same kind of "hot rodder generousity" with Paul (Ratty46) when he sold me those 46 Ford parts. He could have made way more on Ebay, but wanted someone who would appreciate them to get them. I do!!
I also got to spend some time at Bills home talking with him, his Dad, Mom, and Brother. Their garage looks like a hot rod shop with his Dad's Willys, his Brothers ProStreet 55 Chevy, and Bills '32 which is in the process of getting that monster Hemi. These are people who you meet and feel you have known all your life. Nicer people don't exist.

Here are some pictures I took:

This is Bill working on the motor mounts for the Hemi.

donsnewintake002.jpg

and his Pop and Brother:

donsnewintake004.jpg

Don't you just hate guys who have this kind of stuff sitting around??

donsnewintake005.jpg

and his Brothers "getting close to being done" 55 Chevy:

donsnewintake006.jpg

Don

None of this comes as a surprise to me. Something I figured out quite a while back.
One of the reasons this site is as good as it is. Mr. ten million posts.

I suspected as much. I have had dealings with Bill also. Great guy, as are all I have had personal contact with on RRR. Thanks for the post, as always form you, uplifting.

Hey Don,

It was great seeing ya'. You should have stayed for lunch. Guess you were excited about getting that carb set-up back home. Folks, there is no better guy roaming the planet.

Your Mom very graciously offered for me to stay for lunch, but I had already imposed on your day enough. That, and I did want to get those carbs back to Don asap. :D

Thanks again guys for the hospitality.

Don

Kool story don. I spy a 4 duece setup on the hoist under the coupe in the picture. Was that the setup you got? Very nice if it is. Its nice to know that there are people out there and that they are right here at RRR. I hope I get to meet some of you in person someday aswell.

Kool story don. I spy a 4 duece setup on the hoist under the coupe in the picture. Was that the setup you got?

That's it. Good eye. There's a total of 11 carbs in that one picture :D. Don paid me more than I was asking for that setup and refused to take the extra money back. I still feel bad about it. It was nice seeing Don again. Great fellow.

Hehe Bill, you haven't tried to cash the check yet!! :eek::D:D You have no idea Bill how thrilled Don was with the setup.......he called me like 3 times that night. Bills entire family would give you the shirt off of their backs, and think nothing of it. I'm honored to consider them friends.

Yep, that was a shot of the setup on the lift. This thing is mint. Here is another couple of pictures of it.

Don

donsnewintake016.jpg

donsnewintake017.jpg

Awesome People...

Very cool, great looking intake setup...:cool:
I too have experienced Gastrick's generosity, in the form of adjustable
Stromberg carb jets... Thanks again Bill, great story Don. '22

Latest posts

Back