gm metric caliper conversion problems

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitman

I am a first time builder and have manged to not kill myself or set my garage on fire...yet. I am building a what can only be called a rat custom t bucket.
I've manged to build my own disk brake conversion in the front and then bought a kit to convert the rears using the same cheap-o metric GM single piston calipers.
My problem- no mater WTF I do to these bass-turds I CAN NOT get the banjo fitting to stop leaking at the caliper. I've searched, read, searched some more, and have taken off these calipers a dozen times and redid the banjo fitting and brake line connection, with new crush washers, thicker crush washer, aluminum crush washers, copper crush washers that I annealed, copper crush washers w/ PTFE high PSI thread dope, all to no avail. I am ready to push it out into the street and beat it with a b-ball bat until I can no longer raise my arms. Aside from swollowing my pride and taking it to a shop and have them deal with it; I am 100% convinced its something simple that I am overlooking and I should be able to fix at my home. Please help me figure this out.....before I lose my mind entirely. Thanks for any / all suggestions
tbucket_griff_and_sylv_copy1.jpg

sorry

Ok..sorry I dont know how to size this photo. Sweet fancy Moses its huge.

I would probably start looking at the face of the caliper, and the face of the bolt where the sealing surfaces are, and look at how smooth/flat those areas are.

If its just a cast recess, that may be your issue on the caliper side..

Two things come to mind, just right off. Your parts are not matched exactly right. Banjo too big for the bolt? Could the banjo have a crack in it?

Thanks for the replys

Those are all good points. The front end I am using SS lines into a banjo then into the caliper. These are the "allstar" brand from Lanes. T junked the aluminum banjo bolts that came with them in favor of the OEM banjo bolt from GM. The rears are OEM rubber lines. I am going to look at the bolts bottoming out before getting tight and go from there. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back