GM's BS fix for their faulty starter switch!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I'm sure you've all heard about the faulty GM starter switch that killed & injured quite a few people. GM covered up this defect & when they finally got caught I figured they'd replace the defective switches but... NO!!! A friend had a small Caddy that was on the recall list & you won't EVEN believe the BOGUS fix GM did to her car.

In the photo you'll see a red arrow pointing to an area that you've seen on nearly all modern GM keys, a long slot at the top of the key. Instead of fixing the switch... they put this insert in the key slot & affixed a very small ring to keep you from putting too many keys on the ring weighing it down & this is their big fix which is SO stupid because just like my friend did... she just put a larger ring on the small one!

I'm sorry but... this is TOTAL BS IMO... I've definitely lost any respect I still had for them!

BoB

Attachments

• key.jpg
    key.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 52
Man!!

Having worked at GM dealerships I've seen some BS stuff...but this.....it really takes the cake....that is pathetic...

I'm sure the lawyers decided that was all they needed to place blame on the drivers.

EDIT: on second thought, they made it so there is now minimal rotational torque on the key buy moving the connection point onto the axis.

Just had one done yesterday, don't know wether the recall is b.s. or the fix. I was not terribly afraid to drive mine, I'v driven lots of scary stuff.

My old mother waited... I'm guessing... about 10 weeks from recall notice 'til "service" appointment. She received the same "repair" to which I said, "You have to be ******* kidding me!" :eek:

They could have put the bloody "parts" in the recall envelope, but apparently, I'm not qualified to perform such a technical procedure. :D

Doc....it's got nothing to do with your qualifications....

My old mother waited... I'm guessing... about 10 weeks from recall notice 'til "service" appointment. She received the same "repair" to which I said, "You have to be ******* kidding me!" :eek:

They could have put the bloody "parts" in the recall envelope, but apparently, I'm not qualified to perform such a technical procedure. :D

It's because you are the hairy, hairy gent, who ran amok in Kent :D

Makes you wonder what the guys at Government Motors have been smoking. :rolleyes:

I thought the ignition switch was the problem, not the key. They'd been as well off to put in a toggle switch ignition and a push button for the starter. :eek:

Makes you wonder what the guys at Government Motors have been smoking. :rolleyes:

I thought the ignition switch was the problem, not the key. They'd been as well off to put in a toggle switch ignition and a push button for the starter. :eek:

The ignition switch was never the problem. The way it's oriented in the column is the problem and only when people hang 2 lbs of junk on their key ring. Gravity is what shuts the engine off.

I seem to recall a Ford problem in the late 70's of cars jumping into reverse if left idleing. The approved repair was a sticker for the dash telling you not to leave the car idleing in park.

Blue

Latest posts

Back