Hello from LI NY

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonicdeath88

Long Island, NY "and no im not rich" "at all".
Hello, my names Justin. im new to this forum, and this is one of the first forums im on besides mustang ones. i recently bought a 52 willys pickup in ok condition. and im looking to build a rat rod. i have alot of ideas on what im going to do with it, but i want to get more, and learn as much as i can. i have some knowledge on builds. my old man builds hot rods at his shop. i recently build a fox body mustang for myself witch had a short life due to a evil honda civic :(. im currently building a little rat VW super bettle "ive had it since i was 16 and need to finish it". my real ambition is to get this willys done though. I plan on only using the cab for sure. as for the frame, its pretty rotted. im not sure what to do with it, do i salvage it or find another and work with that? all the same i want it to be real low, im not sure if its worth trying to Z the fram i have or just start fresh with another. all the same i plan on dropping a big V8 into it and going as fast as i possably can. Ive been on the hunt for a 401 or 425 Nailhead but ive been comming up short. i have a 302 that i build for my stang that has only 3,500 mile on it and runs like a top. i was concidering dropping that into it. and i also have a 351W outta a 69 mach 1 that needs to be rebuilt "witch is no problem for me to do" I want to keep it stick of course and im planning on using a 9 inch ford as my rear. back to the frame issue. i was thinnking of picking up a ford ranger and using that frame and suspention, but im pretty hellbent on having a independent front suspention, and i dont plan on having any fenders or a hood on the beast all the same, other then that ive tossed up the idea of tryingt o make my own frame, but i dont hvae much knowledge on building one. im really just brainstorming what to do. any ideas on where to go with this?

Welcome to "here" ...

Welcome to the site.
There are some Willys owners on the site, so join right in.
And we love photos, so post some when you can. ;) '22

There are a few rat willys around, it is a good platform. As far as building your own frame, it depends on skill level, time and money. Like alot of things.
Welcome to the site.

Welcome to RRR, Justin. Willlys pickups make a nice rat. Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do with it. Salt is not a friend to frames out there. I agree with Bonehead on the frame. Some pictures of the critter would be in order, as we like pictures around here.

Where on the Island are you at ? I grew up in N. Massapequa & went to school in Farmingdale. Tho that was years ago. :D

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, now first off, here's some pics i took, this is when it was still on the guys farm in VT, the truck sits about six inches higher then it seems " and boy was it fun pulling it out of the frozen ground", i took more pics. but the film didnt devlope properly.
now like i said i have alot of ideas on what i want ot do with it but im still uncertain, im pretty sure after talkin with you guys and seeing what you have built/building and what you have to say, i'll be able to build this beast to it's fullest potential. as for skill on building a frame, i dont have much, i have a few friends who weld pretty well, and my old man is quite the welder "he built the frame on his 31 A. money wise, i have, but im not rich, all the same im not cheap when it comes to building somehting right. i'll do what i have to in order to make it the way it should be. as for the salt, there is no absence of it where this truck is from. and I live in north babylon currently, not to far from massapequa or farmingdale at all

Attachments

• vw pics. 001.jpg
    vw pics. 001.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 11
  • vw pics. 003.jpg
    vw pics. 003.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 8
  • vw pics. 005.jpg
    vw pics. 005.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 7
  • vw pics. 007.jpg
    vw pics. 007.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 17
  • vw pics. 004.jpg
    vw pics. 004.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 6
welcome to the site! i've owned a few fox-bodies myself, one w/351w, my brother had a 84 coupe he put a 71 mercury 429 in...tire FRYER!!! anyway you could share some mustang pics as well, we won't complain! as far as that willys, it looks like a great start for a rat..might mention there's a place here in arkansas, that builds T-buckets and will custom build you a rectangle tube frame if you're interested their site is spiritcars.com - i haven't bought from them but have talked w/ the owner, a real nice guy, i'm sure they could help ya

keep us posted..and did we mention .. we like pics!:D;)

hey hrp, yeah that pretty cool aboutt eh foxbodys, i would have loved to see the 84, sounds like fun :D, i dont have any mustang pics on this omputer but i'll see what i can do. thanks for the info on the frame site, im going to check that out right now . i'll keep ya posted on how im making out

Latest posts

Back