it'smecords 50 shoebox ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmecord

I have had my granpa's 50 ford ford about 5 years now. I was given this car only months before his passing. Back in the 80's he restored it and drove the crap outa it ! At some point in late 90's or early 2000 he more or less parked it and it just went to a "old washed up,has been" or at least that's how he viewed it. He gave it to me with a few request's (1) that I not make some high HP pro street car outa it (2) that I not make a led sled as my uncle wanted to (3) keep it in the family and (4) enjoy it as he had for all those years ! At that point I thrashed to get it back on the road and take him for one last ride.......unfortunately by the time it was ready to roll again he was to weak to take a trip,but he sure was proud to see how much my wife and I loved the car !
I drove the car for a couple years after that almost daily and just didn't have the funding to fix it up like he would have if he would of had another chance. Fast forward to today,and in the past month or so I have added:
New master cylinder
New wheel cylinders
All new rubber/steel lines,and fittings
converted to 12 volt with a 10 SI alt. and all 12 volt lighting
New drag link
Ordered a "complete" harness to rewire but that was a joke so I'm waiting to see the outcome of that.
I have on order aerostar coils,and new front shocks to get the nose down.
Future plans are to warm the ol' Merc flathead that in it up,paint and white tuck and roll throughout !
These are pics form when I first got it from pop's and washed it !

Attachments

• ford013-1.jpg
    ford013-1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 53
  • ford015.jpg
    ford015.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 65
  • ford016.jpg
    ford016.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 51
Hi Itsme,
Dang fine car, right down to the '56 Olds front hubcaps. I hope you don't lower the front very much as anything newer than 1940 looks bad hanging in the front, IMHO. I like it the way it is. You have a coupe with a continental kit, whoa, what more can you ask for, well, maybe fender skirts.
I'm going to make my coupe into a led sled by chopping it.

Attachments

• 50Ford coupe left.jpg
    50Ford coupe left.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 22
Agree with Mac.
Good looking car as is.
There were some very nice Shoe box Fords done back in the day that weren't chopped.
You can go for a "Mild custom" look by just adding skirts. Some spots and a little adjustment to the stance. Also the mentioned tuck and rolled interior. And since you are talking about painting it you might wanted to shave the door handles as well.
Most of the guys back then would have removed the outside visor. But of course that is your choice.
What ever you do. Keep it on the road while you are doing it and drive the snot out of it.
Torchie.

Nice car and great story. Wish I could have gotten my granddad's 50 Studie but it didn't work out. :(
If you don't skirt it and want to match the olds flippers I might have a pair you can have for the postage. [S
I'm not sure if there 14's or 15's I'll check when I get back home.
See you on the radio

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind words ! The car actually has fender skirts,they are just off in that photo so I could get the wheels off to inspect the rear brakes. It's has dual functioning (at least before the 12v swap) unity spotlights. The tail lights have the blue DOT centers,and the headlights have the brows with blue marbles. The continental kit was hand built by my grampa back in the day,as were the nail guards under the handle's.
The up side to my gramps request is that I would never make a pro street,or a led sled outa this old car ! I have always thought it was way kool just how it it !

So I did the aerostar coils tonight ! That dropped the nose 2" so now It sits just a shade high in the nose.
I also did new bump stops,and am STILL waiting for my shocks to get here then I can check steering and suspension off my list of must do's !
After arguing with the supplier of my wiring harness for a few days I finally had to accept that the best they were gunna do was credit me $20 back to my account. So I was stuck with a car that had to be completely rewired, a harness that was not what I was expecting, and a bill at the parts place for another $80 over what the harness cost me ($100.90 minus the $20 back credit) So for roughly $165 +/- I have my car wired, but I could have bought every individual peace they supplied myself and came out cheaper instead of a half ass wiring harness,and a big ol' bag of wire from the store.At least I am back on the road (well minus front shocks) I will post pics tomorrow if I get off work in time.

Springs will settle in a bit so your current front ride height may change.
Bummer about the wiring harness.
Can't wait to see some pics with the new stance. Looking good.
Torchie.

So here is a shot of my 50 with the aerostar coil springs ! It's currently 2" lower than before, I know it will settle a little more and thats just fine. I simply cannot get over how much better it ride's,and handle's. Even with no shocks it is a HUGE improvement ! My shocks are "supposed" to be here tomorrow but thats been the story for a week now. It currently doesn't have a front sway bar, so I am considering finding a beefy one to adapt to it.

Attachments

• 129.jpg
    129.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 29
I have been driving the car now for about a month or so basically everyday to and from work,and around town for errands. Although I do like the old school feel of the three on the tree, I have decided to go with a AOD auto instead. The current trans was only supposed to be a temporary deal. When the original 3 speed with O/D went out I slapped this one in and just figured I'd find another O/D but now I think an auto is how I wanna go. Anyone here have,or know of a used 8ba to aod adapter for sale ? When I go this rout can anyone tell me a complete list of needed parts to do the swap ? The cross member is an obvious deal, but is a "non issue" since I have access to everything needed to built one.

Looks like the stance is right now! [cl

A few things....what company harness did you get? I bought mine from Speedway, I got the best one they offer, it looks like it will go in with no problems. As to your Unity spotlights, Unity is still in business, and I'd bet you can get 12V bulbs to fit your 6V lights.

Now to the adapter, I've seen adapters that bolt a C4 up to a flathead, so one of those should work since they have the same bolt pattern. Of course you'll have to build a cross member since the AOD is a bit longer than a C4, and you'll have to hook the TV cable to your carb. IIRC, AOD's use the same yoke as a C4. I've got two of them in storage waiting on a roller 5.0 or 351 to come along at a good price to swap into my Linc later on.

Itsme, have you considered putting a T-5 in there? The ones out of a Mustang have the same input shaft spline as your clutch and I think the same spline in the back so your drive shaft will slide back in too. You will need an adapter plate, though to bolt the trans to the bellhousing.
Food for thought.

Thanks,I really like the stance now also !
The wiring harness was through northwestautowire.
I was unaware that unity was still in business ! So I will certainly be looking into that since I want the lights to function or i'm taking them off.
As far as the t5 swap goes, that has been my plan for many years but after seeing a super nice 51 at a show that had a t5 I just dont like the look of the shifter in the floor on these cars. For whatever reason (unknown to me) I just could never be happy with the look the floor shifter gives the interior.

I guess tomorrow I will pull my seats, and the carpet to see what kinda rust I am dealing with ! I know there is some but not how much. I also plan to strip all the inside down,and use a rust stopping paint then put down the ol' peal-N-seal !

If you switch to the AOD please do the car justice and hook up the column shifter to shift the automatic. It sounds like that might be your plan anyways.
Most certainly ! That was my plan,that or get a 51 column for an auto as well as all other needed parts and go that rout.

i hope you dont do anything visual to it.
i am lovin it as is.
course it's yer car and you could crush it if you wanted to

Billy I plan to cut/buff whats left of the paint untill I can do a new paintjob. I'm just driving it now but at some point paint,upholstery,and all new glass will make its way onto the car.Thanx earthman, but I actually have the factory sway bar,I took it off since it literally was about to fall off !
And whitewalls are a definite to do !

Latest posts

Back