latches from the junkyard?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I'm about to sell my rod but was kinda wanting to at least put new door latches in it. I've been driving it for 2 years but don't consider it finished ( an artists work is never finished). I don't mind the way the doors latch now (original striker latch style) but the new guy might mind.

I was wondering if there is a good vehicle to pull some newer door latches out of. I have about 1 3/4" from the outer skin of the door to the inner skin of the door. I know speedway sells a cheap "slim line bear claw set" that would work great but if there is something I could pull from the local yard that would be cool too...... I am also curious for future projects.

Thanks,
KD

Honestly, for the price and versatility the Speedway slimlines are hard to beat. They are compact, mount easily and work great. As far as future projects go - After using them a couple times I went ahead and made a template to cut & install them. I use them on just about everything, even a rumble lid closure on a '31 Roadster. I know Speedway sells a lot of junk, but I can speak good for those latches.

Isn't that something how we're satisfied with what we have but when we go and sell it, it has to be better?
Maybe that's why the person buying it like it? [S
Just my take on it because, I do the same thing.;)

Check the foreign stuff, they will have a thinner door.Look for something with as flat of a mount it will transer easier.

I have a friend who swears by Subaru latches, gets them for next to nothing at local yards. Sorry I don't know what models or years but I'm sure they are all similar and have been for years. Hope this helps.

Update!

Found some that I think should work and should be fairly easy to find. I got them from a '93 Geo Storm. These came from the hatchback latches... and there were two of them. I was also thinking tailgate latches might work too but then I found these. The dimensions are 1 7/8" wide but I think they can have the outside lip ground down to about 1 1/2"; the thickness is about 7/8" but when trimmed about 3/4"; they are right at about 4" long but might be able to be trimmed a tad if needed. The little latch arm sticks out an extra 5/8" or so.

They were about $13 at the local pick-n-pull here. Hope this helps some of my fellow rodders.

Attachments

• latches1.jpg
    latches1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 36
  • latches2.jpg
    latches2.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Back