Legend Carroll Shelby passes. RIP

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my all time fav pictures! Two of the koolest kats on the planet! Shelby & McQueen! Sadly... they're both gone!!! Dig the MFG plates on this car! Of course... he bought it directly for the Man Himself! :D

BoB

Attachments

• stevemcqueen.jpg
    stevemcqueen.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 23
The man was a badass, plain and simple. Here's a little exerpt from an article -

Living in the fast lane was a matter of fact for Shelby, who designed the cult-classic Shelby Cobras and Ford’s Shelby Mustang.

He raced cars. He had a heart transplant from a Las Vegas gambler in 1990 and a kidney transplant from a son in 1996. He was married seven times.

While trying to fend off an anticipated heart attack, he drove in a 200-mile race in 1960 with nitroglycerin pills underneath his tongue, finishing third at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey.

“If I hadn't slowed down each time I popped one of those pills, I might have won,” he said, then announced his retirement as a driver later that year after clinching the U.S. Road Racing championship series at Riverside International Speedway.

Five years earlier he had replaced a plastic cast on his broken elbow with a fiberglass one and had his hand taped to the steering wheel so he could help Phil Hill drive a Ferrari to second place in a 12-hour race at Sebring, Fla.

Godspeed Mr. Shelby. You made a helluva dent while you were here...

Sad news! He was definitely a legend in his own time....he single handedly changed the face of road racing for american autos.

Back