Metal Working Equipment

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klink

I'm planning to purchase a few "machines" for my shop and I'd like to know what others are using. What works and what doesn't. I'll be adding a brake, shear and shrinker/stretcher. The shrinker/stretcher I'm considering is a Baileigh unit. It's the one that comes with a position for both units and is foot operated. The website claims made in USA and I called them and they tell me that's the case. Anyone using it? The shear I'm thinking of is the throatless 8" model from Woodward Fab. It looks pretty good (I tested one at an event) and since a 36" or 48" shear is a little pricy, I think a throatless would be the ticket. I don't need it to cut anything more than sheet metal because I have a 5.5hp DeWalt chop saw for flat stock and tubing. So the fact that most of the throatless shears CLAIM 3/16" capacity SHOULD mean it'll hold up just fine on 0.04" and less. The important thing with the shear is its ability to make long (up to 36") straight cuts. The brake I'm considering is... I have no idea. My shop is small and I don't need it to do more than 36" tops. I'm leaning towards a straight brake. At the moment I don't see the need to make a box. I can't find a 36" finger/box/pan brake anyway. The straight brakes I've looked at ALL CLAIM at least 18 gauge over a distance less than 36" (around 12”), the box brakes are at 20-22 gauge. I could always add a smaller (12") box brake if I have the need to box anything. The one at HF looks like all the others; I spent some time looking the demo one over and it doesn’t look bad. Forget craigslist. I’ve been watching it and eBay for a year now and word has gotten out that old equipment is worth a lot.

Latest posts

Back