Model A

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattlesnake

Need your wisdom on a few things guys. Just bought a running original 1930 tudor and future plans call for chopping/channeling the body, building a new frame with suicide spring behind front suspension and running a 509 BBC with glide tranny hooked to a 9" rear.

My questions at this point:
1. I want to use split bones on the front. Should I use the original axle and split the bones? I've heard the original bones may be too short?
2. I want to go with juice brakes on the front. Should I just look for a later front axle/spring/bones?

Thanks for the help guys!

I like the later bones because they are longer and stronger, but the model a axle is fine to use. You can put an aftermarket spring on it and 37-48 spindles to enable you to use later (40-48) brakes, or even one of the disc brake conversions.

Don

Don, do the later year bones fit the A spring perch? Also, what year/model spring do you think I might look for?

Thanks

Any split wishbones will fit. Go to Speedway Motors and get a new spring to support a big block engine.
If you go spring behind you may want to go with spring behind batwings and hairpin radius rods. Otherwise you will have to modify the bones to mount the spring. Which isn't a problem just look at some of Dons builds to see how he did it.

dmw56 - I looked at some of Don's work, nothing short of great. I had also looked at a build by cornhusker customs where he attached the shackles to his split bones on an A build he was doing for a customer. That was also a pretty neat idea and different. I just need to give it a little more thought and weigh pro's/con's.

My concern is the motor has about 600 hp and I would hate to bend anything if it got a little light up front. :eek::D I've looked at 4-bar but just think it doesn't look right. Maybe it's just me but it has to both look right and be functional.

Thanks for the help guys, David

Latest posts

Back