Motor mounts 1976 1 ton Chev

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehoward

Okay, I admit this is a little bit off-topic but not too far off I hope. I am trying to figure out how to restore a 1976 1 ton Chev pickup that the previous owner cobbled together. It now has a 454 engine in it which I doubt was the original motor. When trying to fit the rear transmission crossmember I could not get it to fit as the engine seemed to be placed too far rearward. On closer examination I found that he had relocated the front motor mount towers rearward and placed them on top of the frame rails instead of under as they should be. He also altered them with a cutting torch. What a mess.

I am thinking what I should do is to just source some unaltered towers from a serve-yourself wrecking yard. Except that from the factory they are riveted in so I probably would have to buy a battery powered grinder for $$ and I am not sure that sort of tool would hold a charge long enough to get the job done. I also am unsure if the small block towers (which are most common) are the same as big block towers? Maybe I can buy these from Chevy? I doubt it.

So some of you guys must know what my options are for getting this done the right way. I am very open to suggestions.

Randy

Place the engine/trans in the position you want it , then fabricate your frame mounts using tubing and plate material.

Latest posts

Back