Motorcycle shocks?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBailey

So I've been thinking of a way to get my front end to not completely bottom out the front suspension with the y block mocked up in it. I want to keep the stock axle and parallel leaf springs but, I was thinking maybe some rear shocks/coilovers off of a motorcycle would give me just enough extra spring to hold the weight up. So my question is has anyone used motorcycle shocks for their project instead of more expensive coilsovers? And do you think they'll work for what I'm wanting to do? Thanks in advance guys and I hope my explanation makes sense lol.

So I've been thinking of a way to get my front end to not completely bottom out the front suspension with the y block mocked up in it. I want to keep the stock axle and parallel leaf springs but, I was thinking maybe some rear shocks/coilovers off of a motorcycle would give me just enough extra spring to hold the weight up. So my question is has anyone used motorcycle shocks for their project instead of more expensive coilsovers? And do you think they'll work for what I'm wanting to do? Thanks in advance guys and I hope my explanation makes sense lol.

Maybe your problem is your axle is too close to the frame because of the way it is mounted . A simple c notch or a Zee to give you some more clearance might do the trick .Pic would help , you know the worth a 1000 words saying .

I will get a pic later today when I get home but, even with no motor trans or front fenders my shackles are touching the frame, meaning they're fully extended. And then toss in the 900 pound Y block and the springs really max out lol.

These pics aren't the best and I'll get some better ones when I get home but, you can kinda see what I'm talking about. The shackles are almost flat and the spring eye is up against the frame horn. My axle is still about 2 1/2 inches from the rubber bump stops on the frame.

Untitled by ratrodfanbobcat, on Flickr

Untitled by ratrodfanbobcat, on Flickr

I will get a pic later today when I get home but, even with no motor trans or front fenders my shackles are touching the frame, meaning they're fully extended. And then toss in the 900 pound Y block and the springs really max out lol.

Sounds like you have a design problem . Where did the front end come from ?

Well that rules out the design problem . Sure would be nice if you could look at another stock spring set up and see where yours went wrong . Have you been to an old Chevy truck site , one that deals in restorations . You really need to try and find out " why " , before you put some home made remedy to work .

Sounds like your springs have lost their arch. Either get them reached or replace the springs. You may be trying to fix it with the bandage approach instead of addressing the real problem.

Sounds like your springs have lost their arch. Either get them reached or replace the springs. You may be trying to fix it with the bandage approach instead of addressing the real problem.

I'm sure you're right about them being de-arched, I mean they are what 71 years old lol. New leafs are not in my budget right now but maybe getting them re-arched would be. If I was to have them re-arched how would I know where they need to be and would I have to do each spring individually, just the main leaf, or could I do the whole spring pack at once?

I have a friend in town with a 46 GMC , I'll swing over while we're out trick or treating and take some pics of his shackles for comparison.

You'll have to disassemble the pack and do them individually.

Here are the stock specs for '42 Chevy trucks. (Eye-to-eye length should determine proper arch.)

How much does the Y-block weigh? 900 lbs???? [S The original 216 weighs 630 lbs. if that helps at all. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1942 4240.jpg
    1942 4240.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 34
You'll have to disassemble the pack and do them individually.

Here are the stock specs for '42 Chevy trucks. (Eye-to-eye length should determine proper arch.)

How much does the Y-block weigh? 900 lbs???? [S The original 216 weighs 630 lbs. if that helps at all. :D

attachment.php

OK, I may have exaggerated the weight of the Y block by a couple hundred pounds lol. It is one heavy beast though. Big thanks for the image, what's the best way to re-arch the springs? Shop press maybe? Thanks again everyone that's commented so far.

Thanks for the link. After reading that and a few other sites, it doesn't sound like something I can do at home and cost about as much as new springs to have done. So I guess I'll just start saving up and buy a set of 3" lowering springs from speedway.

If you have any trucker buddies ask where they buy replacement springs for trucks and trailers, I would bet theirs a spring place in your town. Springs are not to big of a cost when you go this way, they may re-arch yours for little cost, or the new cost will be a lot lower than you think. just a thought.

If you have any trucker buddies ask where they buy replacement springs for trucks and trailers, I would bet theirs a spring place in your town. Springs are not to big of a cost when you go this way, they may re-arch yours for little cost, or the new cost will be a lot lower than you think. just a thought.

I can guarantee there is nothing in my town lol, the town I live in has a population of about 437. We have a convenience store but they don't sell gas and a small welding/tire shop. I was playing around with my truck last night and new leaf springs won't help me anyways. To get this thing to the ride height I'm after I'm going to have to go to ifs, suicide front, have my axle dropped/buy an already dropped axle, or Z the crap out of the frame. And I'd prefer to stay away from the latter.

Latest posts

Back