My 200 dollar score a 1950 F-6

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilJohnson

4096220259_b84c5862c3_o.jpg

This truck has been a landmark for the entire time I have lived in the area (about 15 years). Back in my school bus riding days (before 2000) I would pass this thing twice a day but I never paid much attention to it. Instead my old car efforts along with my friend's were directed toward an old 48 Ford cab and front clip that his brother had found in the woods. We tipped it back up and sorta fixed it up with duct tape (hey we were only ten at the time). Since it was the first vehicle that was mine (okay half mine) I sorta have this thing for old fat fender Fords. Unfortunately the original "project" was so far gone by the time we had found it that really the only thing that old cab and clip was good for was the scrap yard. The driver's side door had completely disappeared into the ground along with part of the cab.

One day out of the blue I figured I'd ask about the F-6. I sorta know the guy who had it. He told me quite a few people had stopped and asked about it but mostly it had been scrappers and the one person wanted to turn it into a flower planter. He told them all no and wanted to know my plans. Mine were much more compatible with his original idea of what he wanted for the truck, to get it back on the road. He had bought the truck sometime in the early 90s from the original owner who had parked it back in 63 behind his garage. One day the truck wouldn't start and the original owner never bothered to see what was wrong with it. The truck originally hauled milk but later got used around the farm. I guess the original owner is still alive and lives only a few miles away from where the second owner lives. Unfortunately for me the truck has no title because it went up in smoke when the original owner's garage burned down in the mid 60s. There is no paper work at all for the truck and a quick call to the DMV confirmed they had no record of the truck. They suggested the best route would for me would be for a law enforcement officer to come down and take of the vin number off the frame and cab and send it into the DMV along with some pictures of the truck and a letter how I got it. I was told it "usually" works. So I guess I'll have to cross my fingers.

4096221105_e893801a07_o.jpg

Since I don't have a car trailer laying around and the front end of the truck was missing it's wheel bearings I figured hauling it on a hay wagon running gear would work alright. Lucky for me the guy had a loader tractor so it was pretty easy to get it up onto the wagon. Since the wagon has a steerable front end it tends to wobble some so I only was able to go about 20 miles an hour. It was a 12 mile trip to my house. The one nice thing about using the running gear is that the truck can easily be moved around my property.

4096221499_108bdc240d_o.jpg

Super snazzy interior. The truck has a lot of heavy surface rust but not much in the way of rust holes. A grinder and a wire wheel oughta take care of that.

4096220621_da93258278_o.jpg

Mighty 254 flathead power. Motor is seized up tight, I poured some kerosene down the intake yesterday and today I want to take out the plugs and pour some into the cylinders.

I want to get this thing on the road cheaply as possible because at the moment I am very low on the dough. Sorta thinking of using the original frame and just shortening it, taking some leaves out of the spring packs, and replacing the front and rear axles for now.

Man you've got one heck of a project there. Good luck with it. What's on the back of the truck in the 2nd picture is that a tire or a fifth wheel?

Man you've got one heck of a project there. Good luck with it. What's on the back of the truck in the 2nd picture is that a tire or a fifth wheel?

It's a tire. Yeah this thing is going to take a ton of work to get it back on the road but with some time it'll be done :)

Hey it'll take some time but think what you'll have once you get it done[cl.
And maybe you should start the paperwork to get that titled, Don't wait until your done. It'll just frustrate you waiting on DMV :( and your truck is sitting waiting for you to take her for a spin.

Just my 2 cents.

Grumpy

The truck has a lot of heavy surface rust but not much in the way of rust holes. A grinder and a wire wheel oughta take care of that.

Very nice catch but I wouldn't use a grinder on the body. I'd use a sander instead but I'm sure others might chip in on this issue too. [S

Beercan

i think he was meanin' a cup-wheel wire brush on a grinder...;)

the old thing looks pretty good.....and the fact that you've seen it/lived near it most of your life makes it that much more cool in my book....

i like your plans, so keep us posted[cl [cl

4096220259_b84c5862c3_o.jpg

I first saw that pic and I wondered what kinda crazy front axle was that!? Took a second look and noticed the tongue sticking out. :D

Man that looks like it's in great shape. Would it be easier/cheaper to find a whole nother frame for it? I'm guessing the big trucks like that haven't changed much frame-wise and you'd get updated running gear. Just a thought....

Cool!

You mentioned shortening the frame... Are you planning on Z'ing it down?

No Z'ing going on here. I plan on running some good sized rubber tires to fill the larger fender opening. I want to build this thing so I can drive on the back roads in the county forest. In the spring the roads get so rutted up that people get stuck in the middle of the road :eek:

Z it then air bag it! Get some big bags off a air ride trailer. :D (not sure what kind of lift those have though...)

Get the tallest narrowest tires you can find - that way you sink through to solid ground before you hit axle. Thats why old wagons had tall and skinny.

OK, nuff rambling....

Latest posts

Back