My HF rant.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
Ok, here's a bit of a twist on things, my rant...(or more like an observation) isn't against HF, but for for them. I was there yesterday at the Port Huron MI Harbour Freight location and the sale item I was after was sold out. That in itself isn't a big deal, the clerk was nice about it all and gave me a rain check so I can get the item at the sale price sometime in the future...cool. Since I didn't spend that money, and still had a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket, I got to prowling around the store and found a treasure or two. Hand operated nibblers, I had a set until I broke them awhile back and couldn't find any locally, so I grabbed two pair. Flanging pliers were right there, so I grabbed a pair of them as well, not top quality, but not top quality priced either. 10 minutes with a grinder and file and the edges can be dusted off and squared up and they work like the big buck deal, at a fraction of the price. Came across the butt weld clamps for sheet metal and thought shoot, for 7.99 for a set of 8, I can't make them for that. Picked up a set of them as well. Toting my plastic bag of goodies across the parking lot, I'm thinking that it would have been at least at third, or even half as much again to buy the same stuff on my side of the Canadian border. Went through customs, declared my purchases, (didn't have any alcohol or tobacco) so it was like great, have a nice day, get out of here....so I did. To make a long story even longer, got home, checked the computer and Eastwood had sent a sale Email. And for just $29.99 you can get 4, yes 4, butt weld clamps just like (in fact identical to) the 8 clamps I got at HF!! But that's not all...no sir, for $29.99 for 4....they will throw in another 4 for FREE. (My Gawd! I've gone weak in the knees.) Yep that's right, 8 for 29.99 compared to 8 for 7.99 at HF. OK, you do the math. In the immortal words of Charlie Sheen "WINNER"!! Thank you Harbour Freight, I now return you to your regular programming. End of rant.:D

Got the Same Email, for that price, they`d better be plated in gold! [S Had to get my off Ebay. 8 for around 15.00 dollars. Not as good a deal as HB. But you can`t buy those clamps off their website. You have to go to one of their stores. And there`s no stores around where I live.

You hear a lot of people saying things about HF junk, and some of their stuff is not so hot...........but a lot of it is fine for the purposes it was intended for. For example, when their unibit drill bits go on sale we grab a few boxes. You get 3 for less than Home Depot or others get for one bit. Their gold drill bits in the red box are also very good. Engine stands, we have probably 10 of them and the work fine, especially the one with two wheels in th front instead of one.

On the other side of the coin, their pressure sensitive 12 inch sanding discs suck, and are worn out in one usage. I bought some 3 M's at Graingers and they last and last and last. I am also not a fan of HF electric and cordless tools, they wear out real quick.

You have to pick and choose at HF and when their stuff goes on sale the prices are hard to beat. I bought a brand new 6.5 hp gas motor for my minibike at $ 99.00, how can you beat that?:)

Don

I paid $29.95 and joined their membership program. They gave me a $10 gift card. Then, a $104 set of atv ramps for $69. Now I don't have to hunt coupons everytime I go. So far, it looks like I get 20% plus off every item instead of one single item.

Don said it. You gotta know what to stay away from. I've had good luck with their step bits and a few other cutting items, but most of their stuff that requires a sharp edge doesn't last long. Haven't had any luck with any sanding stuff, but their thin kerf cut of wheels are great - use 'em in my drunken badger all the time.

I buy their leather (not sure from what animal!) gloves a lot for work. Hit and miss for each pair. Some last an hour some last 2 weeks. The black ones dye your hands if they get wet!

I've heard alot of ppl talk trash about HF mostly online though.I got tons of HF stuff.Everything from socket/wrench sets to welders and air compressors.

I'm fairly selective, but yes, I do have a bit of stuff from HF. I really like the butt welding clamps. I have probably 32-40 of them, but somehow I keep loosing some of the pieces. At a buck each, I don't mind buying more though. I also have a floor jack and a lot of the C-clamps. I don't use the C-clamps for important stuff, but it's nice for tack up stuff.

I just bought a set of lower anvils for my English wheel I'm building $64.00, how can you beat that?[S

I bought a set of the drill bits Don spoke of for $9.99, also bought an air over hydraulic pump with foot control and a hose reel with 50' of rubber hose

My only complaint and I'm gonna send them an email about it is, I had a coupon from a mailer for the bits and on that same mailer a coupon that gave me "an ADDITIONAL 20% off of purchases over $100.00" but they wouldn't honor it. My dad was with me so he bought the bits for $9.99.

I think if you go to HF knowing that some of their merchandise is shall we say sub par, then when it doesn't perform as expected, its not as maddening as with other tools and material. You're usually getting something from there that's half price compared to other stores. You get what you pay for!

If I was still turning wrench's for a living....

I'd shy away from most HF tools.....but for the general at home stuff..I think they work just fine.....I've got some of their 4 1/2 inch angle grinders that I've used for 4 or 5 years and they still work fine....the better cut off, grinder and flap disc's means you don't have to work the grinder so hard and it will last... I buy them on sale for 10 bucks and have 2 or 3 in stock....haven't needed them yet...3 ready for working....one cut off, one grinder one flap disc....I just bought a welding cart for 39 bucks that is pretty rugged for the money and will hold the second welder and tank... nice to have one for light stuff and one for the heavy metal.....all in all, other than the grinding wheel I had one shatter on me, (which is why I buy all my grinding wheels, cut off and flap discs from LeHeigh Abrasives)...I've had pretty good luck with HF stuff.....all my tools are Snap on, Mac or Matco which is from the Dealership days.....(some of them 40 years old by the way) very few HF sockets or other handtools....but the few I have are all impact sockets and seem to work fine....never got any of the regular sockets or wrenchs so can't comment on those....

Their impact sockets are great. I have quite a few things from HF and only a few complaints. I've had 2 palm guns stick wide open, 1 angle grinder burn up and a few cut off wheels break apart (those i will never ever buy again). But as stated before, for what you pay you can't be mad when it breaks or burns up. I build the back end of my truck with their $80 tubing bender and have used their Bead roller countless times with no problems. I've had their metal chop saw for 2yrs and cut i don't know how many feet of steel on that thing and it keeps going (knock on wood).

I'm also a inside track member and it does help with the discounts.

Latest posts

Back