Need help finding flexible brake material

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
Ok, Here's the deal, this isn't rod related, but does have an engine, so I hope it counts. I bought an old Gibson Tractor front and rear axles at an auction awhile back. Doing the rearend now and have come to a stand still. I need brake material for the band brakes. The bands are toast, not much left, just plain rotted away. The bands and linkage I can fab up ok. But I can't find any replacement lining. The bit of stuff left on there, is about 3 inches wide and a woven asbestos. The drums are about 5 1/2 to 6 inches in dia. Found a place that does elevator brakes, but wants $500. to do the pair. After a head shake and a studdered 'No thanks', that idea was soon dismissed. Thought I found what I needed on Ebay and bought some woven brake lining for a Model A. Well it's woven, but stiffer than a rock and shaped for a 11 inch or so brakeshoe. Tossed around the idea of cutting up a regular brake lining into smaller 'pads' and riveting them on the band. So that's where I'm at, any ideas? I need to get this thing done and out of the shop, I've got some Rats and Rods to get built, and this thing is holding me up. Anybody know of a source or have a great idea? Thanks, Sniper :confused:

stop in at any semi truck parts house. they sell and reline large truck brake shoes, the one in downtown toledo relined my 1940 ford car cores and only charged me 36.00 parts n labor i guess the just cut down truck linings to fit?? maybe they can get you the lining if nothing else n you can install it to ur backing band. also jc whitney sells some older lawnmower stuff maybe try them. dp1

Maybe try an old implement dealer.
I don't think it would take long to find a club onlune. I was looking at buying a Bolens tractor and within 5 minutes of searching had found an owners group and forum.

DP1 and Willowbilly, followed up on your suggestions, and I think I have a solution. Think every Gibson ever built has the brakes worn out, seems to be common. A brake relining firm was mentioned on a Gibson tractor site, and it blossomed from there. Found a place that relines crane, dozer and related brake bands in Hamilton ON. They are only a couple of hours from me. There are quite a number of places in the States and the UK to fall back on if this won't fly. Shoot in three hours, I've been all over the world. :D Thanks guys, Sniper

It's a small world Madman, since the last post, I found this same vendor and just bought the 2 1/2 x 3/16 material from them. I should be able to get the brakes completed now..no more excuses.:rolleyes: Thanks for keeping an eye out for me, I appreciate it. Sniper

Latest posts

Back