Need ideas in how to mount radiator

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Finkster

I have a S10 based ratrod with a '51 Chevy truck cab ,inline 6 / auto trans ,I took the front fenders off , they looked like crap and I want to mount an A model Ford grill shell with a '48 Chevy radiator , seems like the steering box is gonna get in the way , anyone else have this frame setup and running an open engine roadster style that can give me some info? , thanks in advance...

Attachments

• securedownload (170).jpg
    securedownload (170).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 52
  • securedownload (172).jpg
    securedownload (172).jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 53
  • securedownload (173).jpg
    securedownload (173).jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 45
  • securedownload (176).jpg
    securedownload (176).jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 42
  • securedownload (174).jpg
    securedownload (174).jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 41
  • securedownload (177).jpg
    securedownload (177).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 37
  • securedownload (178).jpg
    securedownload (178).jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 44
Awe too bad, those fenders are in good shape compared to what I find around here...lol...

to your question: You can cut and make a lower tray for the radiator in the front part of the frame, or check with Silla, they have various sizes of all aluminum ones for around $100 that's what I recently did for my truck and I'll be doing the same thing on my 40 chevy which sits on an S-10 frame.

Awe too bad, those fenders are in good shape compared to what I find around here...lol...

to your question: You can cut and make a lower tray for the radiator in the front part of the frame, or check with Silla, they have various sizes of all aluminum ones for around $100 that's what I recently did for my truck and I'll be doing the same thing on my 40 chevy which sits on an S-10 frame.

If you want those fenders , you're welcome to them...lol

I'd say typically, the consensus here is no front fenderless with IFS...
personally I think that truck looks better with the fenders on it.

I'd say typically, the consensus here is no front fenderless with IFS...
personally I think that truck looks better with the fenders on it.

If the fender would've came off of a 1/2 ton pickup , I'd have left them on , but , these were off of a 2 ton truck , they really didn't look good at all on the truck , hence the conversion...

I have a 54 GMC cab on a S10 frame with 50 Chevy front clip. I used the original 50 Chevy radiator support frame and cut to fit the aluminum radiator I got from Speedway. I welded it to the inside of the frame at the bottom. Of course I have fenders to hold the top in place but maybe you could use the fender support rods that bolt to the firewall and run them to either side of the radiator frame. Just a thought.
Wish I had pictures of how I did mine but don't and with the front end on I can't get a picture now.

I have a 54 GMC cab on a S10 frame with 50 Chevy front clip. I used the original 50 Chevy radiator support frame and cut to fit the aluminum radiator I got from Speedway. I welded it to the inside of the frame at the bottom. Of course I have fenders to hold the top in place but maybe you could use the fender support rods that bolt to the firewall and run them to either side of the radiator frame. Just a thought.
Wish I had pictures of how I did mine but don't and with the front end on I can't get a picture now.

I would really like to see some pics of what you guys have done , fendered or not , S10 frame trucks....

Check out my build thread. Mine's S10. I think yours looks way better with the front fenders too. Partly because in my opinion no S10 front end should ever be fenderless, they just don't look good out in the open. Whatever you end up doing I hope you get the look you're after.

fenders

another "vote" for the fenders, it doesn't look right without the frontend sheet metal. makes it look incomplete and not very well thought out.

again, just my humble opinion[S

l do like the 6 popper, different[cl

the patina is spot on.

Later :cool:

i did the look with the fenders myself... with a hood i think it would have made a really interesting wide low look.. but hey its your truck.. do what you want!

Another vote on keeping the fenders. Wide bodies don't look right with the narrow Model A grill shell, makes them look nose heavy when the grill is way out in front of the tires like that, and factory IFS looks better hidden by fenders.

Hey FatFinkster

My 2 cents, get two pieces of steel tube (1x2 ish) mount them at an slight angle on each side of the radiator tanks and then weld like 1/8" thick tabs on each side to hold it front to back (4 tabs), then you gotta make a cradle like piece on the bottom also, a piece of square tube or "C" channel works well too.

Keep it basic..works wonders...if it rattles around you can always slice up an old radiator hose for a vibration damper...

I learned this from my days of roundy round race car days...

MikeC

Latest posts

Back